• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My Hunt for the SMP Bond Quartz...

angkikee

Known Member
14/12/10
Soooo…

After looking for a while for the Gen 2221.80 SMP bond quartz I finally found one on a recent trip to Bangkok. By recent I mean yesterday.
It’s a funny story because I was at MBK (for those who know) and it’s generally not a place to find gens, however I was walking around practically with my eyes at counter level and I was going through all the low quality reps and I came to a counter and I was thinking “hey these are really great reps!â€. Then I did a double take and thought “Wait minute.. These aren’t reps…â€. And I dare say the only reason I can tell a gen or rep within seconds is because of these great forums. LOL.
Turns out the shop deals with used gens, and most are what people trade in. they had a few really cool ones like the seamaster electric blue dial (I forget which model exactly but you guys know exactly what I mean).
After a bit of haggling we agreed on a price. It really was risky since there was no real way to tell but as soon as I got back home to Singapore I opened the caseback and shortened the bracelet a little to suit my wrist. I’m at work and the network here doesn’t allow me to attach any pictures, but it just occurred to me that I haven’t really seen the inside of a Gen 2221.80 Quartz SMP here in RWI.
Who wants some pics?
Give me time I will try to put it up tonight when I get home.

angkikee

Known Member
14/12/10
OK I think I may have posted this in the wrong section. It should be in the Gen section. Sorry about that guys.

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
Good find! There were loads of these around on the UK EBay the other year when I was looking for my SMP300, but they seem to have got rare all of a sudden...

Wear it well and enjoy it.

angkikee

Known Member
14/12/10
Pics or this never happened! =)

Hi Guys,

I'm a little rusty at this and I'm sorry for the lousy pics. My macro lens died recently and Ihaven't had the time to send it in for a repair, so a point and shoot in crappy lighting will have to do for now.

8681500826_f53087b5fe.jpg

So when buying used there's always that question - Is the movement ok? Is it real? I know the quartz was never repped properly (if at all) so it would be more or less a sure thing that this would be good, but still...

8680391471_555246f6f8.jpg

Bracelet looks good...

8680391543_d1f4d38743.jpg

I think it's probably been scrubbed with a scotchbrite pad once or twice but it looks clean enough. no major misshapen links.

8680391553_ef6710c1f9.jpg

angkikee

Known Member
14/12/10
Here we go.. rather than sending it to the Omega service centre for verification I figured with a rubber ball and a few minutes I should be able to have the answer to that... plus there's probably less devastating shame if it turned out to be a rep that I paid good money for...

8680391575_7f49aa0783.jpg

Looks alright. The battery has what I think is the date on it? Is this common?

8681501000_09cc8f163e.jpg

So this is what the Cal. 1538 looks like...

8680391681_f954030786.jpg

In case you're wondering, yes it does have an antimagnetic cover. Naturally this one looks a LOT better than the antimagnetic cover on my SMP Chrono rep and the UPO reps I have.

8681501068_5b9fe4a907.jpg

The case number is 196.1504 which does show up if you search for the bezel on Ofrei however I had difficulty finding the same parts on CousinsUK if searching by case number.

I also learned that the part number for the bezel of this watch is not the same as the SMP Chrono bezel. SMP bezel is OME-082SU1361 while the SMP Chrono Diver bezel is the OME-082SU1360.

There you go guys... =) I'm happy with the purchase. Now to save for the new CRPO!!!!

angkikee

Known Member
14/12/10
Good find! There were loads of these around on the UK EBay the other year when I was looking for my SMP300, but they seem to have got rare all of a sudden...

Wear it well and enjoy it.

Thanks Alex. Yeah I was hoping to find one and I was hunting on WUS but came across a really shady ad and I decided not to risk sending the money. Seller's ad was for a 2221.80 and kept promising the right watch but also kept posting the wrong pics. i.e. he didn't know the differences between the 2220.80 and the 2531.80 and the 2221.80 so whan I asked for pics of the watch and the cards he sent images of the 2531.80, which was also ok with m except the price should reflect this.

He then said he had two watches and could send me the 2531.80 at a reduced price. i said i would be interested in both if he could show proof of documentation. he claimed to be the first owner and then sent me a pic of the watch with the cards. this time the cards read 2220.80. I'm pretty sure it was a scam.