• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My GEN Omega SMP Chrono Story (Very brief w/ pics)

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
Hi all,

Im not into writing novels so i'm going to keep this short. I've owned GEN SMP's for several years now and one of my favourites has always been my chrono model. Its an awesome and flawless watch, with the exception of some fading (very light @ 3 o'clock). I went to my TD the other day with a plan on swapping out the old gen dial with a new dial (w/ chrome Omega branding). I've been a huge fan of the new style dial since it came out. Turns out at some point in the past, water got into the watch (explains the fading @ 3 o'clock) and also resulted in minor rusting in various areas of the movement (so they say). Watch was fully functional to date...

Anyway, I ended up getting a full overhaul, which I didn't mind. Omega includes a 2 years warranty with the service + a full polish and some other good stuff :)

In addition, I am getting the following done:

- New gen dial with chrome Omega branding
- New hands (all of them!)
- New crown
- New pushers + seals

I'm really excited to get it back. It'll be ready tomorrow. It's been about 4 weeks today. Should be interesting because it'll have a mix of the new and old gen components (only the dial really). I was surprised when they said they would allow it. They are typically pretty strict on swapping gen parts around. Even if the watches are essentially the same (movement and case wise...)

PS: Ill have all the original parts for sale later this week for those interested...(Lume on dial is fantastic and all the other parts work fine. The only reason i'm changing a lot of it is because the parts are included in the overhaul)

Stay tuned. Additional photos to come...

Watch as is:
photo1sf.jpg

photo2ryb.jpg

What the new dial will look like (for those who don't know):
photo3uvm.jpg

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Thanks Joe. It would look even better if my wrist wasn't so small... ;)

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
This could be my next franken project! Really like it a lot!!!!

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I cant see that badass dial neither at ofrei nor at cousins... Is that hard to find one?You posted that thing at the wrong time... Did i mention I really like it???????

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
That thing looks sweet! I really have to resist the temptation to go looking for one of these, other priorities need to be taken care of first.

This hobby is going to be the end of me!

dan_j

5/11/10
That's gonna be sweet. So there's no difference in the watch case between the old and the new model? (Besides the dials?)

Daniel

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Lol, the dial does rock.

Im wearing it right now...I'll post some pics a little later today. The new gen dial is very hard to find. My td didn't even stock it...its also double the price of the old model...Retail on the old model is $200, this new one was $400...

I cant see that badass dial neither at ofrei nor at cousins... Is that hard to find one?You posted that thing at the wrong time... Did i mention I really like it???????

Watches are identical.

Only the dial, caseback and clasp have changed. Hands are also longer than they use to be, but fit both cases either way.

That's gonna be sweet. So there's no difference in the watch case between the old and the new model? (Besides the dials?)

Daniel

Old parts are now up for sale

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Here are some photo's of the finished product. Sorry for taking so long, i've been having some issues with my 7 year old laptop :s

I think its time for a new one!

img2025z.jpg

Wrist shot...

img2048f.jpg

img2049l.jpg

img2050z.jpg

img2051a.jpg

img2052v.jpg

Other Misc shots...

img2058c.jpg

Last photo: Group shot...

1st: Gen SMP Chrono
2nd: Fakey SMP I picked up from Q5. R2 moded the pearl. Looks sweet. I'll rotate bands here and there... leather, nato, s/s...
3rd: Ult 5G PO. Bone stock (have the rubber strap too). Lookin to franken when I get the time and $$$...

nanganang

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
11/8/11
iluminous dot

hi do you sell or know where i can get a replacement iluminous dot or jewel on on the bezel cheers stve

rol_man

Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
Nice looking trio!

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Thanks guys!

Nangatang, I've never heard of being able to buy the hour markers. You should talk to VAC about a relume...