• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My first purchase journey - Cartier de Santos 35mm GF

jimprw

Looking Around
20/11/23
Documenting my first rep purchase here!
-----
Nov. 19, 2023 - Order for Cartier de Santos in 35mm (GF) submitted through Chazingtime

Nov. 19, 2023 - Payment sent through Wise

Nov. 21, 2023 - QC pictures arrived. It seems to have the "floating R" issue even though I thought that shouldn't be present on models produced from GF. Crystal doesn't look as wonky & It looks more like the BVF model. I addressed this with the QC and was responded with "the 35mm Santos is all like this". It's not an issue enough with me to RL. Requested to go ahead and ship.

To be updated!

Reactions: UFAnders

shiningsoul2

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
5/11/23
USA
What was the price & link to the seller? Can you tell me more about GF vs other factories?

jimprw

Looking Around
20/11/23
What was the price & link to the seller? Can you tell me more about GF vs other factories?
I paid $389 USD total including shipping (normally $428) because Chazingtime (found on the list of TDs) has a discount for payment through Wise.

Super quick turnaround on email responses and QC, also their hours seem to line up pretty well with PST evening timezone.

I only researched GF vs BVF as they're the best factories for the 35mm, and what I found is that:

1. GF model has imperfect frosted edges on the crystal (covers up a bit too much of the "SWISS MADE" lettering on the dial).
2. GF model has better SS bracelet + comes with a free leather strap, also better priced than BVF.
3. BVF model has had a "floating R" issue for a while where the R in CARTIER is misaligned and sits a little above from the other letters. (supposedly it's supposed to be fixed by now, but apparently it's still a mixed bag).

Please take this info with a grain of salt as I'm very new to this game.

jimprw

Looking Around
20/11/23
Update: Nov. 24, 2023 - Order confirmed and shipping started & tracking number provided

Valaj

Known Member
15/3/23
Illinois
That's a BVF Santos medium. Not a GF. The GF doesn't have floating R and it has the wrong seconds hand (the short end is curved). The BVF has floating R and has the correct seconds hand (it's flat like in the pics you posted above). So yeah. I saw QC pics of a GOF Santos medium last week and it had the same seconds hand as the old GF Santos medium.

• Wow
Reactions: jimprw