• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My First Mod!

svenkramer

22/1/11
foto%2525202.jpg

foto%2525201.jpg

What do you think of my new crown guards?

Here a 'before' picure:
OMG02010_SEAMASTER_PRO_ETA_4250WU5_2824-2_%281%29__60942_zoom.JPG

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Good job mate! :) Lots of mods coming out from members, this is really good.

svenkramer

22/1/11
Thanks! I'm really happy with it. Especially because I'm not a very skilled mechanic:)

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
Excellent job... keep it up and will be qualified as a horologist in no time flat.

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
excellent work. you are quite brave risking your case just for the hell of it.

svenkramer

22/1/11
excellent work. you are quite brave risking your case just for the hell of it.

Hehe yes, was a bit nervous. Could have wrecked the movement en tube (did a bit though) of my favorite watch.

But you know how it is: a flaw will keep bugging you till you have to do something;)

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Fabulous work! How did you do it?

svenkramer

22/1/11
Fabulous work! How did you do it?

I bought some basic tools. A couple of files and some pliers.
Then I removed the caseback and the movement. The tricky bit
was removing the tube, because I had to use that again.
So I twisted it with a rats tale file en pulled it out with a plier.

Then file away! I did it by hand. Step by step.
After that sand the edges and polish it.

I'm doing the same thing with my mates smp in a couple of weeks, so I could make a pictorial if you like?

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
I think I'll just leave mine alone!!...>>

IMG_0003-2.jpg

Picked this up a few years ago from a fellow collector who had just bought it and was having problems keeping it running...He said it ran OK till he tightened down the caseback, then it would stop dead...
I bought it so cheap I'm almost ashamed to admit($40.00!!)
I simply opened it up, removed the movement, and bent the second hand down @ 1 mm, to keep it from hitting the crystal, put it together, and there it sits, still running 100%!!...I definitely prefer the el-cheapo 21j config on any GMT movement, since the modded ETA's and their clones aren't anywhere near as reliable, or accurate sweeping on the 24 hr hands...
I only wish I could find a display caseback to replace the incorrect solid seamaster one it now has...But...since only @ .01% of humanity knows it's incorrect, no biggie!!

svenkramer

22/1/11
IMG_0003-2.jpg

Picked this up a few years ago from a fellow collector who had just bought it and was having problems keeping it running...He said it ran OK till he tightened down the caseback, then it would stop dead...
I bought it so cheap I'm almost ashamed to admit($40.00!!)
I simply opened it up, removed the movement, and bent the second hand down @ 1 mm, to keep it from hitting the crystal, put it together, and there it sits, still running 100%!!...I definitely prefer the el-cheapo 21j config on any GMT movement, since the modded ETA's and their clones aren't anywhere near as reliable, or accurate sweeping on the 24 hr hands...
I only wish I could find a display caseback to replace the incorrect solid seamaster one it now has...But...since only @ .01% of humanity knows it's incorrect, no biggie!!

Haha nice deal! Nice CG's as well. Pity, because modding is becoming fun;)

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
modding is fun for lots of folks....but...

Haha nice deal! Nice CG's as well. Pity, because modding is becoming fun;)
not for me!!...If they're broke I fix them....If not I wear them !!! I guess I'm just lazy!!..(and CHEAP too!!)
And BTW...I just remembered that I also removed some terrible foggy A/R from the inside of that crystal when I had it apart too...