• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My ETA Submariner from 1999 has been problem free!

LUVTACO

Getting To Know The Place
21/9/22
Hello and thanks for having me on this forum. I lived in LA in the mid to late 1990's and greatly enjoyed the Santee street reps. I slowly graduated from the $50 units to a $1200 ss daytona with a white dial and Valjoux (sp) movement. And pretty much everything in between. There was this black/black submariner I picked up for around $500 that came with an eta movement that has just been rock solid! Never had any issues with it, zero! I wore it daily until 2009 when I purchased a gen gmt master II which regrettably has not been bullet proof. Iv'e just sent it back to the authorized service center for the 3rd time in 2022 because after 14-18 days it just stops! This is with a full charge and with daily wear and after a complete overhaul.

Hence, I told my wife just how impressed I was by this swiss eta replica and wished I had kept others that were similar. A few photos are below. It looked brand new when I bought it and came in fancy boxes with all the tags and some documents. I purchased a ss rhodisium yaght master also of the swiss eta type in 2000 online. I think it was around $750, wish I had kept it. The daytona was really great also yet it was thick due to the movement. If I understand correctly it was meant to replicate the older daytonas with the zenith movements. That one is gone also. I'm excited at all that I will learn here and I have already reached out to some TD's in search of a pepsi and hulk with the eta movements but no luck so far.

I had an amazing watch repair guy locally but he passed some years ago. He always verified for me what the movements inside the watch were by opening it up etc... One question I do have is, should I send this 1999 watch to be serviced or just wait for a problem to arise and send it then? What I love about that ETA is the feeling of tension when you wind it, the hard and fast click of the date wheel at 12 when changing the date. It just lends to the over all feeling of what you would expect from the gen. If anyone can tell from what factory this 1999 watch came from or any nicknames or code names given to that type of build, I would love to hear. Thanks!

PTwatchLover

Certified
29/8/22
Portugal
Interesting story. Thanks for sharing! Regarding your question I'm not the most knowledge guy to ask but if you compare it to any other mechanical thing, like a car, would you way for it to break or would you have it serviced every year?