• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My Daytona Project

Theatrix

Getting To Know The Place
Patron
Certified
12/2/18
USA
I'm diving into watchmaking with a focus on the Daytona model. Initially, I'm acquiring 6 Daytonas: 2 in WG, 2 in RG, and 2 in YG, all replated by Flan_dad. Currently, I'm eyeing 3 DD4130s and potentially 3 4131s post-Chinese New Year, depending on availability.

For dials, I've shortlisted 7 options from JJ, though I'm yet to finalize choices for hands and crystals, whether genuine or aftermarket.

While my approach might seem unusual or intense, I believe building multiple watches will hasten my learning curve. My workbench is nearly set up with all necessary tools for this endeavor.

My current hurdle lies in selecting the dials. My budget allows for approximately $5k for these 7 dials, and options are limited among custom dial vendors. While I've considered Oascom dials, they seem too delicate for my novice skills. Chinese factories could be an alternative, but I lack visibility into their products.

Before committing to the JJ dials, I'd value any insights or recommendations.

Giammy

Day-tune
3/9/23
In my opinion, yellow gold and aventurine is a fantastic combination

SubNot

Supporter
Certified
17/5/19
EU
Good luck mate, looks like you’re embarking a nice project. I modded myself my clean Daytona, I changed the dial, bezel and glass all to gen. It was my first project, but since I have a steady hand and know few basics I’ve risked it anyways, and it went well. I’d say the most difficult part is fitting the hands after changing the dial. My next addition will be gen hands and maybe gen crown and gen crown tube to have a better feeling while winding 😅 I’ll follow your journey! 👌🏼

Reactions: Giammy and Karbon74

Karbon74

Pika Factory - Currently in hiatus
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Good luck mate, looks like you’re embarking a nice project. I modded myself my clean Daytona, I changed the dial, bezel and glass all to gen. It was my first project, but since I have a steady hand and know few basics I’ve risked it anyways, and it went well. I’d say the most difficult part is fitting the hands after changing the dial. My next addition will be gen hands and maybe gen crown and gen crown tube to have a better feeling while winding 😅 I’ll follow your journey! 👌🏼

I have not set chrono hands yet. On automatics, do you have to set the hands precisely at 12? or can you adjust via crown/pushers like on quartz?

Theatrix

Getting To Know The Place
Patron
Certified
12/2/18
USA
I have not set chrono hands yet. On automatics, do you have to set the hands precisely at 12? or can you adjust via crown/pushers like on quartz?
Good question....I've been going this process in my mind and THIS remains unanswered for me as well. Time will tell soon enough!

Reactions: Karbon74

SubNot

Supporter
Certified
17/5/19
EU
The big second hand when the chronograph is not working is set at 12, you can adjust few seconds with pushers I guess, but I’m not sure if keeping it stopped at a certain time will affect the automatic movement rather than keeping it at its reset position. Not sure if makes sense, also they say to avoid using the chronograph function too much on reps

SubNot

Supporter
Certified
17/5/19
EU
Good question....I've been going this process in my mind and THIS remains unanswered for me as well. Time will tell soon enough!
Yeah, I suppose fitting them precisely is the way to go 😃

Reactions: Derau

Derau

Supporter
Patron
Certified
28/12/19
France
Best of luck with your builds !
I love daytona and cant wait to see your work ! 😁

Reactions: Giammy