• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My closed factory SMP (just the beginning)

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
Well,

Since my last thread sunk about sparking a closed factory SMP discussion, I figured I would try it again, but this time with photo's of mine. After 11 months of painful searching, I finally got one!

Once upon a time (approx. 2004-2007), there was a rep factory that made Omega rep cases that were 95-98% dead on. These reps were way ahead of their time and sold in the blink of an eye, therefore becoming harder to find. These SMP's were available in limited models (std. blue professional, chrome bezel and 007 special anniversary). In it's time, there were 1 or 2 variations available. Some with correct HEV valves, serial numbers on bottom of case and pins vs screws in the bracelet. There was also discussion about two different ETA movements available.

This is by far my favorite out of the box rep. It tops any and every SMP rep i've ever owned since joining RWI. I know it will end up getting more wrist time then my gens no question.

I'm fully aware of the flaws, but feel free to comment :popcorn:

Things to point out:
-Its powered by a Swiss ETA movement
-Thickness of casing is thinner and crystal has less of a bevel than what i've seen on my other SMP reps. It also feels like it has a bit more weight. Closer to gen. Almost bang on.
-Bracelet construction is top notch. I give it an 8/10 for accuracy. Only thing is I'm going to brush the ends of the bracelet links over the weekend. They currently have the mirror like polish. Totally wrong.
-This model has the screws, not pins in the links. Doesn't bother me. Not noticeable.
-HE valve... I know... I know
-Look at the red tip on the second hand! Correct length. Too bad they cut the square end on tail of the second hand short about 1mm...
-Crown guards look much better in person than in pics. Compared to what i've had in the past, these are much better. I will leave these alone for now.
-Lume is of the same quality as my UPO. Consistent green all around.

Sorry about the crappy iphone pics... Other mods to follow...

img0015sp.jpg

img0016dkn.jpg

img0017mr.jpg

img0018bv.jpg

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
Awesome watch, I am after the same one myself, keeping my eye on the sales section....

I'm jealous - but in a good way! Wear it in good health :)

OW

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
I'll have better photos and more details on this later this weekend. I'm tied up in the office right now and just wanted the get the thread started.

Olworthers - Thx brother. I've only seen about 3, maybe 4 for sale in the last year on here at +$300.00 USD. 2 of them the sellers changed their mind about selling. I was lucky...and SteveG gave me a great price on this.

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
Thanks for the info Om3ga_guy. Yes I've been scouring the sales section waiting for one.... I've learned the hard (expensive) way to be a patient man when it comes to finding the right watch :)

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Sorry to burst the proverbial bubble but I have to share what I consider the closed factory model. This one has the gen dial, bezel and crown. Note the HE valve position. Also of mention, since it houses the 2824, a thicker movement, the crown position is a little lower to the case side. So the gen crystal will not fit. But it was a fantastic rep.

IMGP1877.jpg

Here is a shot with your case and the CF model comparing the HE position.

IMGP3532.jpg

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
R2, its all good! Your photos and input just make the thread more interesting. Great looking SMP, I hope to have mine in the same shape within the next few weeks. You have me thinking twice about mine now, perhaps I should classify it as an "old school" SMP for now...

Is the length of the red tip on your second hand correct? Looks like your end links are also one piece?

Your showing two cases in your last photo. My case and your cf case. My knowledge is limited in specifics relating to the movements, but is my asumption correct that the larger case houses the ETA 2824 and mine an ETA 2892-A2 (Seagull)? Both take gen parts?

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Now if he could post a pic of those two reps and his Gen, that would be so cool. :thumbsup:

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
The hands on that watch are rep hands. Both cases are rep cases that originally housed 2824's. The case backs are thicker on the reps as is the crystal on the gen. If yours has the 2892 that is fantastic but none of the cf's had that option as stock and there is a little difficulty modifying it to do so.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
NEWS FLASH: JAN 05 2012

I just reached out to PBdad and it looks like the work on my SMP is near complete. He anticipates having it ready to ship in the next week or two.

Coincidentally, I was able to get my hands on a gen SMP this morning and so I "may" be selling my CF SMP. I guess it all depends on how it looks and feels when it comes home + how I'm doing financially - TBD...............

For those who dont already know, PBdad was installing the following:

-Gen SMP 40th aniv. 007 dial (relumed to match gen bezel and hands. the orig lume needed touching up)
-Gen SMP hands (all of them new from Ofrei)

NOTE: The week before I shipped my SMP to PBdad, I installed a gen insert and brushed the end links to match gen. These came polished which was weird imo.... I also had both the HE valve and crown swapped with gen replacements.

img3685xa.jpg

img3686k.jpg

img3688xe.jpg

img3692w.jpg

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
NEWS FLASH: FEB 15 2012

I just heard from PBdad this morning and my watch(es) are shipping today. I was able to get my hands on some photos so I'm putting them up for everyone to see. I'll have better photos and a summary of the work when it comes home...looks fantastic. I'm really thinking twice about selling this thing. Whoever said one cant have a gen SMP and franken 007 SMP in the same watch box?

A) Photos of the gen dial. It was a bit dusty so PBdad cleaned it and touched up the lume. He made sure the lume matched the gen bezel and gen hands...
img4141h.jpg

img4142f.jpg

B) Photo of the SMP immediately after reassembling it
img4143yw.jpg

C) Photo of the SMP with my other franken PO (everything gen, but case, pearl and HE). After almost 3 months these guys are getting packed and finally coming home...
smp1.jpg

smp2.jpg

...Comparison photo. Gen on left, rep on right
screenshot20120215at257.png

luckie

19/12/11
Was any work with epoxy needed to replace the tube with a gen tube?
Looks great.

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Based on my understanding, the gen tube needs to be epoxied in.

I believe the watchsmith who did mine used the rep tubes. The crowns I got were used. I didnt have gen tubes to begin with.