• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My beloved ARF SD43 has broken 😩

LongyUK

Supporter
Certified
9/3/21
Good morning all.

My favourite yep (yes my number 1) has failed. Perhaps it’s had more use as it’s an absolute beaut! Poor girl.

Here she is with Gen… Nothing in it!

Basically I noticed the wind start to feel a bit tight and yesterday I felt a distinct change it’s felt like the spring had snapped off similar.

Now this watch is a A2824 (hurrah) and I therefore understand a replacement movement is a simple drop in? I’m pretty handy and have worked on some of my watches before so I’m happy to remove the movement, hands and dial.

Am I correct in thinking that I can simply buy a 2824 (perhaps a gen ETA) and everything will simply transfer across? I also assume my ARF datewheel will just transfer across?

Any advice appreciated? Especially a link to a suitable legit ETA 2824 in the uk if they’re available.

Cheers

Reactions: cotti-rottie

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Am I correct in thinking that I can simply buy a 2824 (perhaps a gen ETA) and everything will simply transfer across? I also assume my ARF datewheel will just transfer across?

Any advice appreciated? Especially a link to a suitable legit ETA 2824 in the uk if they’re available.

You can replace with another 2824, even a gen. I wouldn't use the term "simply" though as 2824s can introduce some challenges that are well, sometimes not simple for a novice tinkerer.

The good - Hands, dial, stem, and movement itself are usually 1:1 swap.

The challenges - there is very little clearance in a 2824 for a datewheel overlay (DWO). It can catch on movement parts below it and the dial underside above it. Removing the ARF DW + glued on DWO is possible but screws to do so are located partially or wholly beneath it. So you will need to learn how to do this without damaging the DWO. Even if you get the ARF DW + DWO off totally intact there us no guarantee it will align correctly with the dial date window when fitted to a new movement. This would mean separating the DWO from the DW and regluing it to the new movement DW.

Another challenge may arise with hand pinion heights, also stemming from the use of DWOs. Taller dial spacers are used to create more space for the DWO, which decreases the available post heights on which to mount hands. So reps often use taller posts to offset this. Replacement movements normally come with the lowest post heights, called H2. So to overcome this you can either transfer over the rep hands wheels (and connected pinions) or buy a taller set of pinions, usually H4.

If you want a gen movement, I can recommend this Ebay seller. Excellent parts and service every time. Selitta is gen Swiss also.

Last edited:

cotti-rottie

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/4/23
uk
i admire you for having a go yourself....keep us posted how it goes (y)

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
ETA 2824 or SW200. If it's one that you cherish that much I wouldn't go any other way. I think all the potential pitfalls have been mentioned above.

Reactions: Nono92

LongyUK

Supporter
Certified
9/3/21
Many thanks @KJ2020.

Disappointed that the datewheel isn't a simple swap... I guess any gen movement wont have the correct font. Are there any rep 2824 options that do saving the date wheel swap?

I guess the first step is to get her opened up and see if anything jumps out at me.

LongyUK

Supporter
Certified
9/3/21
This video shows the date wheel assembly. From what is being said id have to 'unstick' my ARF date wheel and restick it onto my new movement. Then I'd have to hope the pinion heights match....

Sounds like I may be better sending it to a watchsmith....

Reactions: cotti-rottie

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Many thanks @KJ2020.

Disappointed that the datewheel isn't a simple swap... I guess any gen movement wont have the correct font. Are there any rep 2824 options that do saving the date wheel swap?

I guess the first step is to get her opened up and see if anything jumps out at me.
Not only will a replacement 2824 not have the correct DW fonts but also not the correct lateral position. The DWO shifts the position inward which is why the screws get covered up. It is possible that the ARF DW + DWO could transfer to a new movement and align acceptably when the dial is placed on. But there are enough variables like whether the new or old DW teeth are flat or slightly elevated, etc to make the swap not a given without some tweaking.

Dealing with ETA DWs and DWOs can be quite frustrating and painstaking, especially a 2824 which has so little room for error. It's certainly not the best to learn on.

Some threads to look at for more info

Quick and Dirty DWO Alignment

Gen or gen-spec DW as a DWO

Transfer an ETA DWO to a new movement

How to glue on a DWO

Last edited:
Reactions: LongyUK