• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My adventures resizing the Omega bracelet

cuevobat

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/6/10
I got my new pumpkin and given my tiny wrists, I needed to take a lot of links out. I could have gone to the mall and had them do it. I could have bought one of those pin removal devices; but no, I had to be all twisted and do it myself with tools on hand.

In the process I learned a lot. I like fiddling with tiny bits and it was kind of fun and a feeling of accomplishment. I documented my adventure on my web site, here:

http://www.basementcat.org/thecraft.html

It was a time investment. I still consider it an investment because I picked up skills I can use later.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
I'm impressed. Thanks!

My PO bracelet sizing experience was far less effective, LOL! The trick with these pins is that you can't rely on a cheap pin pusher. You got it right by using a long pusher, made of hard steel. You pretty much need to have a hammer at the ready, I think. Now, the vise-and-wood idea is beyond me, and is very clever, IMO!

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I had to have the links taken apart to re-size one once.

BADWIN BING

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/10
I took mine to a local store that cuts keys, engraving etc. I asked if they removed links and the guy gave me a confident "Yes I can do that now".

After a good 20 minute wait (and lots of banging) I asked him how he was getting on. "You'll have to come back tomorrow" he replied.

So I went back the next day at the close of business. The guy wasn't happy, said it took him all morning to remove the one link. He charged me £4 and told me he never wanted to see another one again!!!

hooligan76

Known Member
4/7/10
Yeah, they are quite the pain in the rear to get sized but once you've done it once with the right tools the next go round isn't nearly as frustrating.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
I took mine to a local store that cuts keys, engraving etc. I asked if they removed links and the guy gave me a confident "Yes I can do that now".

After a good 20 minute wait (and lots of banging) I asked him how he was getting on. "You'll have to come back tomorrow" he replied.

So I went back the next day at the close of business. The guy wasn't happy, said it took him all morning to remove the one link. He charged me £4 and told me he never wanted to see another one again!!!

:biglaugh:

Famous last words: "I always wanted to size a watch bracelet." And the one he gets is this one!