• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My $98 VCO from Watcheden

narcoden

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/7/11
Ok, this is my first real report. Figured why not put the info out there for all to see.

I picked up the $128 21j version of the VCO using the $30 off coupon. Just got it yesterday. At first, I was about ready to send it back. The cross was literally falling off the dial when I got it. And the lume is terrible. So I slept on it, then wore it today to get a feel for it. And I started to like it. Here is how it came:

vco.jpg

As the day went on, that cross was buggin me something fierce though. I got home and got my watch repair kit out and went at it. first time I've been into an automatic watch. Got the back off, figured out how to remove the stem and got that dial out. At that point the little cross did fall off and I nearly lost it! But found it and got it snug back into the two little holes that the cross sticks into and I think its good now:

IMG_2727sm.jpg

Now the lume is still bad. It's very bad. It barely glows at all on the markers that are pretty sloppy. The hands glow great though. (Were they drunk when they applied lume to the markers?) But you have to really be up close to see how bad it is. From arms length, it's not too bad.

IMG_2719sm.jpg

I am inspired to get the expensive ETA version now, I love the design of the VCO.

More pics in the next post...

I'll let the pics speak for themselves:

IMG_2714sm.jpg

IMG_2718sm.jpg

IMG_2716sm.jpg

The open back is a huge tell, especially when you can see it's only a 21j:
IMG_2720sm.jpg

IMG_2721sm.jpg

IMG_2722sm.jpg

IMG_2725sm.jpg

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Nice review...Good job on opening it up and fixing the cross!

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
Given that the ETA version is much nicer, and goes for only about $260, and maybe another $20 for shipping, this seems like a poor value... well maybe the high quality VCO replica is an excellent value.

Although to be honest, what sold me on the VCO was a $45 21j version from Taobao which wasn't even the right size (40mm vs. the correct 42.5mm). I suspect that the version you got was essentially like the one I got Taobao, except that mine had a cheap laser engraved solid caseback. On the basis of that and my time admiring the watch at the AD, I ended up getting the gen...

narcoden

8/7/11
Yep your right. The ETA is a real bargain and looks much better than the 21j. I think the cheaper ones have their place. I mean, really, it doesn't look all that bad at all from arms length. While it has many differences from a gen or even a better replica, it's still a good looking watch. But I'm going to have to upgrade this puppy. I want the better band (screws vs pins), better clasp, the 21j is only 40mm/wrong size, better lume application, closed back, ETA movement, etc. I'll keep this one for times I think the watch might take a beating (That yeti coster at Disney animal kingdom destroyed one of my watches this summer!)

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
Given that the ETA version is much nicer, and goes for only about $260, and maybe another $20 for shipping, this seems like a poor value... well maybe the high quality VCO replica is an excellent value.

I am sure the ETA version is much nicer, but I don't think it's fair to label this as a poor value. When you say "only" $260, you're talking about a watch that is 2.65 times the price of the one in this thread. Gotta keep it in perspective!
I am a proponent of buying a cheaper version to find out if you'd like the nicer one, certainly.

D

d4m.test

Very clean looking, elegent watch. Good skills (& courage) to take it apart to fix the cross. YOU DA MAN!!

dave

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
Yep your right. The ETA is a real bargain and looks much better than the 21j. I think the cheaper ones have their place. I mean, really, it doesn't look all that bad at all from arms length. While it has many differences from a gen or even a better replica, it's still a good looking watch. But I'm going to have to upgrade this puppy. I want the better band (screws vs pins), better clasp, the 21j is only 40mm/wrong size, better lume application, closed back, ETA movement, etc. I'll keep this one for times I think the watch might take a beating (That yeti coster at Disney animal kingdom destroyed one of my watches this summer!)

Yeah, as I said, I had essentially the 21j you have, and I was pretty bummed, when I broke it trying to take the retaining ring out while trying to clean up the inside of the crystal... I ended up yanking the movement from the dial and detaching the hands instead... Unfortunately, reseating hands are beyond my DIY ability. Even the cheap version is quite nice, which I think is a testament to the nice design of the gen, and as you said, I wouldn't mind having the 21j around as a beater watch.

One thing to keep in mind with the ETA version, get a good set of jewelers screwdrivers and don't try to force the screws if you encounter resistance, since the screw heads are weak, and I've sheared one off while trying to tighten it. Reversing the direction of turn often helps seat the screw properly, then you can revert to the direction you wanted to turn the screw. Also, loctite blue will help keeps the screws secure on the bracelet.

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
I am sure the ETA version is much nicer, but I don't think it's fair to label this as a poor value. When you say "only" $260, you're talking about a watch that is 2.65 times the price of the one in this thread. Gotta keep it in perspective!
I am a proponent of buying a cheaper version to find out if you'd like the nicer one, certainly.

Yes, I appreciate that ETA version is 2.65x as much, and as I said, it is probably more accurate to say the ETA version is an excellent value, as opposed to the 21j version being a poor value. One should note that the 21j version gives you a feel for the design, but the size is quite a bit off, at 40mm vs. 42.5mm.

coolcatdaddy

Looking Around
2/9/11
Bad News for Watcheden

I have been scoping it out, making up a list to order and went to pull the trigger tonight only to find watcheden.com has been seized by an Injunction from Gucci.

A store selling replica Gucci once appeared at this domain. The site owners were ordered to transfer the domain name as a result of a permanent injunction to stop the sale of replicas.

I hope there is a new way to deal with these guys and we will find it out.

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
I have been scoping it out, making up a list to order and went to pull the trigger tonight only to find watcheden.com has been seized by an Injunction from Gucci.

A store selling replica Gucci once appeared at this domain. The site owners were ordered to transfer the domain name as a result of a permanent injunction to stop the sale of replicas.

Yeah, try watcheden.net instead.

narcoden

8/7/11
One thing to keep in mind with the ETA version, get a good set of jewelers screwdrivers and don't try to force the screws if you encounter resistance, since the screw heads are weak, and I've sheared one off while trying to tighten it. Reversing the direction of turn often helps seat the screw properly, then you can revert to the direction you wanted to turn the screw. Also, loctite blue will help keeps the screws secure on the bracelet.

That's good advise. I'll keep that in mind when I get it. At least I don't have huge wrists so I get a few spare links if one strips or gets broken. Thanks!

Like Honeybear said, use http://watcheden.net

They are still around, I ordered a Patek from them just last week.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
You did a great job getting into the watch to make the fix ..... I like VC's and need to get one in my collection!!

narcoden

8/7/11
Ugh oh... I think I borked the date dial when I went in. The watch didn't flip from the 7th to the 8th last night. Strange thing is, I can set the date with the crown still. Guess I'll have to try that keyless repair tutorial? I hope that can fix it. It's also about 30 seconds a day fast. Will need to figure out how to regulate it as well.

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
Ugh oh... I think I borked the date dial when I went in. The watch didn't flip from the 7th to the 8th last night. Strange thing is, I can set the date with the crown still. Guess I'll have to try that keyless repair tutorial? I hope that can fix it. It's also about 30 seconds a day fast. Will need to figure out how to regulate it as well.

Hmm, sorry to hear that. I don't think this is a keyless problem, which usually manifests itself as always being in wind or time setting mode.

narcoden

8/7/11
It seems to have fixed itself. Once I manually changed the date, it changed on it's own last night. I'm now onto tweaking the regulation.

Sent from my Droid.