• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My 1675 Raffles Build

DeLoMan

3/2/19
I’ve long admired the 1675 with PCGs. My second ever watch build was heavily modifying a cartel replica with a Vietnam dial and shaping the case, and adding a genuine style bezel assembly. When I found out Raffles had a $60 case that looked to be stock size, I knew I had to give it a try.

The crown guards on the case are extremely meaty, as you can see here. The crown itself also needs to be moved inward.
HSPcF1.jpeg

The bezel assembly itself is different from stock, and uses a gasket.
HSTDAj.jpeg

I began to work with files and sandpaper and began shaping the crown guards and attacking the area where the crown tube screws in. Tedious work and a lot of metal needed to be removed. Here‘s part way through:

HSTZ64.jpeg

I kept at it, and every time i thought I was getting close, I realized there was still too much metal left compared to gen.
HSTjvI.jpeg

I kept referencing gen photos and taking away metal. Many of the PCG gens are unique to themselves, and few are identical to one another. Few seem to have symmetrical CGs as well! When I felt I got the shape to where I wanted it, I swapped the Vietnam dial from my old cartel build, then glued in the brushed metal DWO from that build. I then matched the hands to the dial lume, and installed it all with a new asian ETA. Luckily the small GMT hand from the DG movement in the cartel build fit the ETA pinion.

And below is the final build, compared to a gen. I received the Tudor crown with this case in error and have the correct crown on the way to me. I think for a $60 case, this is a great option for people willing to put a little time into it.

HSTKki.jpeg

HSTHOX.jpeg

Some more shots:
HSTeFF.jpeg

HSTW82.jpeg

HSTUAt.jpeg

DeLoMan

3/2/19
I’m not sure how to edit the above post, but I did transfer over my gen style bezel assembly and Clark crystal to this build.

DeLoMan

3/2/19
For some reason, an optical illusion in the first post makes one side of the case appear unpolished. These better show the polished finish.

HSTsYc.jpeg

HSTuwX.jpeg

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
I think I bought it from someone on this forum who did a run of them some years back.
Looks like the old Polex Pete datewheel. They were also avail on eBay for a long time also For about $30. They are very nice.

1675lover

23/7/22
Last night I finished some final case shaping (it’s hard to not be tinkering with this) and then I tossed it on a burgundy NATO after being inspired by a post in the other thread!

HbqMkI.jpeg
u're welcomed ;)

where did u get the insert and strap?
been looking high and low for both...

DeLoMan

3/2/19
u're welcomed ;)

where did u get the insert and strap?
been looking high and low for both...
I think the strap came from Amazon a few years ago. The insert I believe I got from someone on this forum some years ago who did a run (maybe Milk.) I bleached it and used an ink eraser on it to get this effect.

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
I think the strap came from Amazon a few years ago. The insert I believe I got from someone on this forum some years ago who did a run (maybe Milk.) I bleached it and used an ink eraser on it to get this effect.
What type of ink eraser did you use? Link?

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Nice work! Would you please elaborate on your “genuine style bezel assembly” and installation? Where was it from, was it a straight swap, will it take a genuine insert…etc?

DeLoMan

3/2/19
Nice work! Would you please elaborate on your “genuine style bezel assembly” and installation? Where was it from, was it a straight swap, will it take a genuine insert…etc?
Thanks! I believe it’s a Clark bezel and retaining ring, I pulled it off of my old cartel build I made several years ago, so I can’t fully remember where I got it from back then. I used a wrap of scotch tape around the rehaut to add a little thickness, then the Clark crystal fit snugly. Then I pressed on the retaining ring and snapped the bezel on.

Reactions: Slugger

Yellowhammerwatches

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/1/24
I’m using this case to do an Apocalypse Now Colonel Kurtz build for a guy. So the bezel has to come off. Can you take me through disassembly before I go and cock something up? First time messing with a friction bezel.