• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Movement problems with my new PO

Lovecraft

Horology Curious
17/2/12
So, I've had some problems with the movement since I got the watch. I thought that the energy reserve was a bit on the short side and the winding is very hard and slow. It's gotten progressively worse and now the watch seems to barely have more energy reserve than 6-7 hours and the winding has become ridiculously hard to where I can barely wind it up.

Is it the keyless problem people say are common for POs? Is it something I can fix myself or should I just send it back? I don't mind trying to fix it myself if it isn't overly difficult.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Well not a movement expert here but it sounds like it needs a service... Maybe a lot of dirt in there...

Buy a new movement, i dont think you want to service the clone or even better buy a swiss one and problem solved for a loooooooong time...

Lovecraft

Horology Curious
17/2/12
I actually got my hands on a cheap (but new) Sea-Gull that can replace a 2428.2, maybe that's an idea? Still blows to be stuck with a non-working movement though, clone or not.

Bklynboy

3/8/11
Is it new or new to you? If its new and you got it from a TD write him a note and see if he'll replace it for you...

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
So, I've had some problems with the movement since I got the watch. I thought that the energy reserve was a bit on the short side and the winding is very hard and slow. It's gotten progressively worse and now the watch seems to barely have more energy reserve than 6-7 hours and the winding has become ridiculously hard to where I can barely wind it up.

Is it the keyless problem people say are common for POs? Is it something I can fix myself or should I just send it back? I don't mind trying to fix it myself if it isn't overly difficult.

As it's an automatic, how often are you winding it, and how much are you winding it when you do.

As a rule automatic movements are not built for regular hand winding and should only ever do that if you want to 'start' the movement. Just a few turns until the seconds hand is running, then set the time/date and wear it. Your wrist will charge up the power reserve within a few hours.

If it's feeling really stiff to wind, and I've had this before on gen swiss movements, then it's possible that you need to have it serviced. It could need lubrication at key points or possibly there is something going amiss if you have been winding it a lot.

Lovecraft

Horology Curious
17/2/12
I'm going to send it back. Seems like the only option. I really didn't want to though, because it's a bit of a bother and the shipment is expensive.

The winding is very, very stiff and it only keeps on ticking for a couple of hours before stopping so it's either broken or in desperate need of service.

EDIT
Yes, it's new. I've had for about two weeks with the problem getting worse and worse.