• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Most hated watch (design) features

Feefo

Vaselume (TM) Authorized Dealer
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Hi together, I'd like to collect opinions on those features in a watch you really can't stand, you don't understand, should be banned from any decent watch. Not necessarily just a design feature, also technical ones will be welcome.

I'll start off with seconds hands counterweight with a logo. In my personal view it's a horrible feature that almost always detracts from the watch design. It ivercomplicates already complicated designs, it ruins the balance of simple watches. I'm talking mostly of counterweights made in the shape of particular/commercial logos. I have nothing whatsoever, on the contrary, when the counterweight has the purpose of balancing the dial's design (and successfully does)
Some examples:

Shoot out, I'm sure there's more outrageous things out there!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I'm fine with a fancy seconds hand. (Although Christopher Ward watch designs are pretty bad all round - particularly their failure to stick to a single cohesive brand identity. And don't get me started on 007 branding on Omegas.)

Also don't like big slot-shaped date windows that pointlessly shows yesterday and tomorrow as well as today.

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
I'm fine with a fancy seconds hand. (Although Christopher Ward watch designs are pretty bad all round - particularly their failure to stick to a single cohesive brand identity. And don't get me started on 007 branding on Omegas.)

Also don't like big slot-shaped date windows that pointlessly shows yesterday and tomorrow as well as today.
That a good one. No purpose at all.

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
It’s the Milgauss lightening seconds hand that I dislike; it just doesn’t look right.
Together with that Green Crystal, is one of the distinctive 'features' of the Milgauss, apart from that Faraday cage insde the movement .

I agree with @Feefo ; the only 'less bad' seconds hands counterweight with a logo is the Zenith Sta one, here for example on a Chronomaster El Primero

Not so bad, imho.

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Together with that Green Crystal, is one of the distinctive 'features' of the Milgauss, apart from that Faraday cage insde the movement .

I agree with @Feefo ; the only 'less bad' seconds hands counterweight with a logo is the Zenith Sta one, here for example on a Chronomaster El Primero

Not so bad, imho.
Yes, I could live with that, that's small enough as not to be intrusive.

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
Fancy seconds hands always remind me of the Seiko-Mod-Stock of the AliExpress-Dealers. That´s a funny thing but nothing for a "real" luxury watch ;-)
But hey, all is permitted that pleases‎. Don´t be so stuffy. These fancy hands are nothing against these stupid diamonds on iced out watches *lol*

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22

But how will I know tomorrow’s date??

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Breitlings.
Not accepted. Too broad, bold and easy.
jerry maguire GIF

Reactions: Thatwatchguy

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Ok, on with real contributions. So far we have:
- logo-counterweight
- slot-shaped date windows
- "iced-out" watches

It's not bad, but it's not all. I know you got something else. Let's hear it.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
  • Top surface AR coating on crystals. Always ends up scuffed and scratched and looking ropey.
  • Black PVD coating. All-black coated metal watches make me shudder.
  • Watches that fail in their fundamental raison d'etre of being a machine on your wrist that you glance at to check what the time is. Like for instance, every Richard Mille. I actually found my RM Bubba Watson a pleasant thing to wear; lightweight, nice ergonomic shape... But I could never spot where the heck the hands were. Fail.
  • And related to the previous gripe: Watch dials crammed with more information than the human eye/brain can possibly process, without resorting to a loupe or a scanning electron microscope and a copy of the user manual. Like, for instance, the Breitling Navitimer. And some of those Casios with masses of mixed digital and analogue information scattered all over the place.

MJH89

Deskdweller
Supporter
Certified
13/1/17
Land of Cream Teas and Roast Dinners
Possibly a controversial one but I don't really like the cyclops on most Rolex models. Great it makes the date bigger but it is only legible from directly front on and it makes the watch face feel more uneven. That's why the sea dweller looks so good.

Bezels on a dive that are difficult to turn when their function is to be able to use them with wet or gloved hands. Specifically I'm talking about the Omega SMP Professional which has shallow scallops which offer no grip and you have to rely on using your palm to turn the damn thing (and then not being a ke to see where you are turning it) as you get no purchase with your fingers.

Agree with the silly counterweight designs as well, it detracts from a good dial design.

Silver hands on a white face, specifically Daytonas. They are no good for telling the time, whereas the polar explorer with black hands is perfectly functional for that.

Date window frames - I just think it looks cleaner without any frame. Just a nice step or chamfer.

Tachymeter bezels - in what environment has anyone actually used one of these?!

MJH89

Deskdweller
Supporter
Certified
13/1/17
Land of Cream Teas and Roast Dinners
Moon phases. Seriously? Moon phases!?? Stupidest thing I've ever seen. If you really need to know what phase the moon is in, wait until dark and look up. Heck, sometimes the moon is even out during the day.
As someone who works in the marine industry, its actually quite useful to know as I can see if its going to be a spring or neap tide. Then again I usually check my tides app.

Reactions: p0pperini

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
As someone who works in the marine industry, its actually quite useful to know as I can see if its going to be a spring or neap tide. Then again I usually check my tides app.
Well there ya' go... ! If you work in an industry where you actually need to know the phases of the moon, I would think you'd want top use something a bit more precise than a watch. To me it just seems to be a gawdy novelty.