• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Modifying my Lemania Moon to take it to the Next Level

amedman

27/7/06
Ok so I love my Lemania Moonwatch except for the subdial spacing. I am considering replacing the dial. Here is what I was thinking.

1. Use a dial from a cheap Asian moon from ioffer (http://www.pmeshop.com/watch-list/omega ... 64_jpg.htm)

2. Replace the dial with a real Omega moon face from ofrei (http://www.ofrei.com/page343.html)

I am not against gluing the 3 chrono hands to the face. The large chrono second hand would still continue to function and reset so that is all the chrono I need. Although freezing the small seconds at 9 is a tell, it would probably be acceptable.

Will these faces fit my case?

Will any of the real Omega faces match the subdial spacing and if so, which caliber? (I know cal 861 is a Lemania cal but would a face from an 861 moon match fit the Seagull T19?) I already asked and found out that the 7750 chrono spacing is different then the Lemania but does anyone know of a different moon replica that may have the same subdial spacing as the Lemania?

BTW I realize the movement is not made by Lemania but by Seagull and is actually the Seagul T19 based on the Venus 175.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
amedman said:
Anyone have any input on this?
There is no replica movement that will fit the Lemania subdial spacing. A gen dial would not work.

amedman

27/7/06
Thanks Pugwash.

What if I were to freeze all the subdials? The large seconds would still function as the chrono and the only tell would be that the small seconds would not move.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
amedman said:
What if I were to freeze all the subdials? The large seconds would still function as the chrono and the only tell would be that the small seconds would not move.
Freeze? You mean remove and glue to the dial? :shock:

Sure, it'd work, but ...

david-syd

Renowned Member
25/5/06
I have the gen .moon watch.

Those rep are very good.

So I dont think anyone willl ever call u from distance, unless u go to a
AD or a watch person...

It really is pretty good,...may be its 85 to 90% already. not sure if u want to
go all the way just for a bit more closer....

amedman

27/7/06
Yes glue. Why do you think this is would be a bad idea? I really want to hear opinions on this before I invest another $100 and end up with a hideous monster.

amedman

27/7/06
I have this rep but I never wear it. I believe the reason is that I have stared at the real moon so long that I can not get over the subdial spacing of the rep. The dials of the real one are very close together giving it a much different look.

manydivers

Known Member
16/8/06
amedman said:
Yes glue.
Why do you think this is would be a bad idea? I really want to hear opinions
on this before I invest another $100 and end up with a hideous monster.

Hi,

You will end up with a worthless watch, no running subsecond, glued on hands ? yuk !
Its a very bad idea all round, frozen hours at 6 is one thing, no running
seconds at 9 and no chrono minute totalizer at 3 completely another.
Might as well just get the faux chrono auto with closer dial spacing.

Possibly move your rep on and then get a reduced moon watch version.

W818.jpg

the dial spacing is much nearer the genuine :

Speedmaster11.jpg

Though of course its a manual, not an automatic.

/mds.

everlast

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/8/06
amedman said:
Yes glue. Why do you think this is would be a bad idea? I really want to hear opinions on this before I invest another $100 and end up with a hideous monster.

a matter of taste ... For me sounds something like concept sample made from papier-mache - watch with glued hands ... :shock:

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
amedman said:
I have this rep but I never wear it. I believe the reason is that I have stared at the real moon so long that I can not get over the subdial spacing of the rep. The dials of the real one are very close together giving it a much different look.
In my opinion, you should give some serious thought to selling the watch instead of devaluing it this much.

Sell it and put the proceeds towards something you want and can live with.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
manydivers said:
... and the second-hand is on the wrong subdial, and the dial has the wrong text, and ...

gjermund123

Known Member
22/5/06
Pugwash said:
manydivers said:
... and the second-hand is on the wrong subdial, and the dial has the wrong text, and ...

Yes, but other than that.. :)

As long as you don't have a gen nearby (at which point, at least to me, it's really obvious) why does it matter, except for the 6 o'clock subdial? If someone calls you out on the subdial spacing, just say that it's a rare reduced pro LE :) With so many limited edition Speedmasters, who's to know? :)

amedman

27/7/06
I am not sure what I will do yet but I do thank you all for your opinions. I see consensus is that I am nuts to try this. I may take your advice and just sell it.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
That's certainly a good move to just sell it off. It's not worth your time and money to get genuine dial and glueing the subdial.

amedman

27/7/06
Thanks! I decided to sell the watch and not mess with it. In the for sale section now if anyone is interested in a very nice watch.