• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Modding the SMP Chrono?

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
OK, so I had this arrive in my mailbox today-

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/omega-smp-chrono-81435

And was wondering about "correcting" a couple of things...

#1 is the scratched bezel insert. I have one of these on the way from Wholesaleoutlet990 -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310304839230&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:1123

Not too certain if it is the correct size since I ordered it before hand, but I figure what the heck it is a spare part to keep around just in case.

#2 is the AR, it doesn't seem to exist. Is there a cheat for correcting, or do I have to find someone to correct?

#3 is the really short hour hand. With this having what I will assume is the A7750 movement (haven't pulled the back off yet to verify), is there a source for a closer to gen hand that can be installed on this movement (or min/hour set so I can keep somewhat same lume until it gets sent to Pb)?

#4 is anything else that the RWI experts know about that I haven't seen or know of yet......

I would appreciate any information the members here can provide.

Thanks!

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
My first quick search didn't get me much. I'll dig deeper tomorrow.

I have been all over OFrei. Lots of good stuff there.

From my DX using Tapatalk.

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Idontknow,

Great looking watch and good catch. I actually own the gen version of this bad boy.

Just an FYI, the AR on my crystal (for both gen SMP and SMP chrono) is very hard to point out. Its not as noticeable as say a PO or Breitling...correct me if i'm wrong but I think its only single layer. So don't expect to get that purple reflective tinge...:)

img2025z.jpg

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/my-gen-omega-smp-chrono-80069p2

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
U will have to look under the Omega 1164 Movement to find correct hands, etc.

http://www.ofrei.com/omega-watch-hands-caliber-1164.html

Bezels

http://www.ofrei.com/page663.html

For model 2225.80

Dials

http://www.ofrei.com/page1107.html

Just some of the many parts...

After you posted last night I was looking at these same things. I even found a thread here on RWI that gave me the correct case number (which really simplifies things with OFrei).

Idontknow,

Great looking watch and good catch. I actually own the gen version of this bad boy.

Just an FYI, the AR on my crystal (for both gen SMP and SMP chrono) is very hard to point out. Its not as noticeable as say a PO or Breitling...correct me if i'm wrong but I think its only single layer. So don't expect to get that purple reflective tinge...:)

img2025z.jpg

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/my-gen-omega-smp-chrono-80069p2

I would probably go for the gen if I didn't already have the gen Bond SMP 2220.80. I only wonder about the AR on this rep because there doesn't appear to be any at all when compared to my gen, and I am by no means looking for the tint that my PO has. I just want to be able to see the dial clearly.
In comparison, I just had a IWC 3717 show up today. That thing is clear as day indoors and outdoors.

To add to all of this, I did some reading up on the A7750 vs the V7750, and it appears that the hands are the same size for both movements so I will be ordering those to start. I don't know if I will go the full franken route yet. I first want to see how the bezel insert swap goes and then decide if I am going to start pouring more money down the hole. :biglaugh:

dan_j

5/11/10
Rep has no AR

Gen first model (no red lettering) has single AR layer on the inside
Gen second model (with red lettering) has double AR

I would suggest getting the rep crystal AR'd...it shouldn't cost more thn $80

Daniel

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Yes, really good info Daniel. Thanks!

The bezel insert went in without too much difficulty (though not quite centered in the bezel- first attempt at one), and I have ordered gen hands which I hope to have by mid-week. Now to just figure out how/where to get AR done.

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Contact Fine dd and see if he can help.

I have a feeling that by the time that is all said and done it may cost less to buy the gen crystal from OFrei.

So, I wonder if the gen crystal fits the rep.

:thinking:

DarthAlex

Renowned Member
22/8/10
Alabama
How much was the Gen crystal? Omega anti reflective sapphire crystals on ofrie seem to be about $170-$180. Having AR done would be $80 plus ship. Prolly cheaper methinks.

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
How much was the Gen crystal? Omega anti reflective sapphire crystals on ofrie seem to be about $170-$180. Having AR done would be $80 plus ship. Prolly cheaper methinks.

Yes, the cost isn't "cheap", but the wait time is much less...

Dudemeister

Known Member
15/9/09
I had originally made an offer on this but the OP beat me to it. Anyway, I ended up buying a different one from another member.

I already have one of the 2nd Generation (i think) SMPs. This is the one with the red Seamaster lettering, but the wrong Omega lettering. The ligatures are at the bottom of the letters instead of the middle like the genuine watch.

The one I just got was the newer version (gen 3 ?) with the fixed logo, but this watch had a stripped crown and tubeHOwever, it came with gen replacement tube and crown, so I decided to fix it last night. In the process I made the following observations, which may be of interest to some:

1. The gen tube is smaller in diameter (2.22mm) then the rep tube (2.34mm), so a direct replacement is not possible. I ended up pressing the rep tube back in, cutting it flush with the case, then drilling it out so the gen tube is actually pressed into the drilled-out rep tube. That worked out quite well.

2. The rep crown end appears "pinched in", whereas the gen crown simply bevels the end. The rep crown Outer diameter is 5.95mm, the gen crown is 6.05mm, yet it fits fine between the crown guards.

3. While the newer Gen 3 dial has the accurate Omega lettering, both dials still have the wrong ? symbol with the happy feet.

4. The Gen3 dial quality compared to the Gen2 is disappointing, the 2nd Gen waves are actually embossed in the dial, they have true 3D relief. The Gen 3 waves are just painted on, so there's virtually no 3d effect at all.

5. The Gen 3 lume on the hour markers have some kind of gloss coating on them, and appear "domed", They should be flat (both physically and non-gloss).

6. The Gen 3 bezel is loose compared to the Gen 2, and can be actually moved side to side. Minute movement to be sure, but there none the less.

6. Last but not least, the bracelet "feels cheaper" on the new model, and the etching on the clasp is a lot lighter than the Gen 2. Neither has the deep "engraved" look of the original, but the Gen 2 is substantially better than the Gen 3

@ idontknow
The insert you got on eBay, appeared to have the wrong color and pearl in the pictures they sowed. How is the color compared to the insert that came with the watch. The one thing the rep got right was the shade of blue. Is the replacement you bought the same color or is it the darker blue it appears in the photos?

You also mentioned getting replacement hands. The A7750 has different sized sub-dial and main seconds pinions, but the hour and minute hands "should" fit.

Last but not least, you'll probably strip your crown and tube sooner or later, so you might want to do the gen mod like I did.

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
@ idontknow
The insert you got on eBay, appeared to have the wrong color and pearl in the pictures they sowed. How is the color compared to the insert that came with the watch. The one thing the rep got right was the shade of blue. Is the replacement you bought the same color or is it the darker blue it appears in the photos?

You also mentioned getting replacement hands. The A7750 has different sized sub-dial and main seconds pinions, but the hour and minute hands "should" fit.

Last but not least, you'll probably strip your crown and tube sooner or later, so you might want to do the gen mod like I did.

The insert color is a bit off, the original pearl on the rep was better. I actually popped out the replacement pearl, then carefully drilled out (by hand with my fingers) the hole to fit the rep pearl.

I only ordered Hour/Minute/Second hands. The watch and hands are going to PB for install along with a lume job here very shortly. I knew about the second hand, it will just have to be barely opened up to fit (I have faith in PB he has done some good work for me).

My tube and crown are REALLY good. It takes 3 full turns to lock down (and I don't snug it).

I have a few pics of what it looks like now with the replacement insert/gen pearl-

20110805155814478.jpg

20110805155756911.jpg

20110805155742998.jpg

Interesting that I never saw the small scratches near the lower part of the pearl before. :err:

I may consider going to a full gen bezel assembly if I can find out if it is a good fit without major mods.

eta- also, the insert/bezel does line up, I just didn't catch it before I uploaded the pics....

eta again.... Never mind, those were just glue stringers!!

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
So I guess the next question for the experts....

Does anyone know if the gen bezel set on ofrei can be installed on the rep without modification?

Something I just might consider.