• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Modded Franken Genstein

Cromag

Renowned Member
11/8/12
What’s the difference? Maybe this has been discussed before but it may be a fun revisit to try to agree on the vagaries. The reference is obviously to Victor Frankenstein‘s human replica creature which was made up of many different genuine human parts.

So, if you will, what classifies a watch as simply modded? When does it become a Franken? And what makes it a Genstein?

2fake4u

Respected Member
20/9/16
These mean different things in Rep/Gen world so

For rep
Modded - Built/assembled with rep items
Franken - Built/assembled with gen and rep items
Genstein - built/assembled with all gen items but not by the gen manufacturer

For gen
Modded - non gen items added
Franken - built/assembled with all gen items, but not by the gen manufacturer. Some also refer to it using the rep meaning
Genstein - not usually used, but if it is, same as Franken

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
These mean different things in Rep/Gen world so

For rep
Modded - Built/assembled with rep items
Franken - Built/assembled with gen and rep items
Genstein - built/assembled with all gen items but not by the gen manufacturer

This

Cromag

Renowned Member
11/8/12
Okay. Good start.

So just because I have a gen insert is it now appropriate to call it a Franken in a sales thread?

So then a Genstein is not a watch with a rep case but all other parts from various gen watches of the same model?

Can you give me an example of a gen item that is not produced by a gen manufacturer?

2fake4u

Respected Member
20/9/16
Okay. Good start.

So just because I have a gen insert is it now appropriate to call it a Franken in a sales thread?

So then a Genstein is not a watch with a rep case but all other parts from various gen watches of the same model?

Can you give me an example of a gen item that is not produced by a gen manufacturer?

Yes

correct

there isnt any

Cromag

Renowned Member
11/8/12
Ahh. Thanks for hashing this out. So you hold that a Genstein is a watch model that has 100% gen parts of that model but it was not assembled by the manufacturer. Ok. That is a clear and high bar. I like that. I am not sure that many, if any, watches in this forum meet that criterion, but it is clear.

The Franken criteria is also clear. One single gen part qualifies for Franken. That would be a lot of watches on this forum. Can that single item be a gen strap?

So modded is simple and clear too: the improved alteration of a rep part or changing of a rep part for an improved rep part. That is very clear too.

But can we also combine these categories to have a modded rep with at least one gen part and call it a modded Franken? Or does Franken trump modded and it is best not to mix the categories with the name -what we call it?