• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Miyota 9015 - "Fix" Noisy Rotor or Replace Movement

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
anyone ever remove the 3 screws and rotor? and just use watch as handwinding only?

It will work but I don't recommend it.

These are cheap movements and the stem on nearly every one I've had has broken. I have a lovely JLC ultra thin moon paperweight waiting for a new crown as we speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yankindeez

21/3/19
USA
Is there any tutorial or step-by-step or video or anything that tells you how to properly grease the rotor? I can't seem to find any but everyone makes it sound to simple/easy to do. Do you literally just open the case back and apply a few drop on the rotor and close it up?

shamanblues999

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/4/18
So, for those who have issues with this movement's rotor, I am sharing what worked for me. From a super loud annoying rotor noise to almost completely silent (like >95% improvement!). Many thanks to Nivka and Natas78 for their review and recs found at: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...782-how-to-silence-the-rotor-on-a-bp-nautilus.
First, my watch is a ZF JLC master ultra thin moon, love this watch but didn't give it enough wrist time due to the super annoying noise created by the rotor. This thing was loud, I mean loud. So, short of getting rid of this watch, I decided to get it fixed. My local watch smith quoted me about $100 to fix this, so since we have all been quarantined at home, I decided to give this a try.
By no means I am a watch repair guy or an expert watch smith. But I do have some basic tools and a 'DIY' kindda attitude.
The guide above was extremely helpful, full credit to OP. The main advise is to have ALL the equipment you need, that is a safe quiet space, light, movement holder, magnifying tool, micro tools (red and black screw drivers), etc. As for the oil, this is a debate that many ppl have commented on the forum. So I will summarize here my research not only at RWI but other forums and good all google. Bottomline, you need a thick enough grease or oil to lubricate those tiny ball bearing in the rotor. Now, how to achieve it is the ?. I have to thank Nivka and Natas for their input. I ended up buying regular ball bearing grease (white lithium) from Amazon. First I thought about using Moebius D-5 (but as Natas suggested, its too thin), also Moebius 9010 and others were way too expensive (like over $40) and you really need a microscopic amount. Bottomline, I bought a generic ball bearing grease for literally less than 5 bucks and it the trick. Pics are below. Follow Nivka 's guide and you will be fine. Just be careful when you do this. A pulse of steal is required, those little screws are so freakin tiny that if you loose one in the movement, you'll be in trouble. Hope this helps others with this movement, it seems like independent of your watch, nautilus, JLC, etc, its the movement with the issue, but rest assured, its fixable! Stay safe everyone.
https://imgur.com/a/we2eEnw

Reactions: cl0ckw3rk

StanleyKipski

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
29/8/20
Dallas
i just did 3 rotors this morning after reading all the information and it has mad a huge difference. THis is what i did:

1. went a bought white lithum grease from auto zone.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...-1-5-ounce-white-lithium-grease/80345/4610228

2. i squeezed out about a quarter size amount on a clean plastic piece.. i stirred and mixed this up very well.. i then took about a dime size amount and mixed this with 5 small drops of moiebus 8000/4 oil. ( this was the only oil i had around ) i did this to make the grease a little thinner..

3. i used a small safty pin and applied a tiny amount to the top of the rotor bearings.. i then used a #10 screwdriver to help push the grease into the grove.

4. i used a toothpick in the center and spun the rotor many times to move the grease around.. i then applied the same amount and steps to the back side and repeated the spin..

5. i used a dust free paper and cleaned up any grease extra on the surface not in the groves..

this worked very well my watches still power up and you cant hear them spin freely anymore..

Thanks

kelvinmd99

Supporter
Certified
22/1/19
Hi for my XF tudor black bay bronze with miyota 9015 I used radio control gear grease - a tiny bit on the rotor bearings. This prevents it from spinning out of control but it was still producing a harsh scraping sound when the rotor rotates. I then realized that the rotor was rubbing on screws on the decorative plate which weren't screwed in by were held in place by glue and I removed 5 of those from the decorative plate(as some of them were loose and catching on the rotor). Now all I hear is the watch winding with hand movements without any rotor noise at all!!

Ocelim94

Horology Curious
8/1/21
Hi,

I lost a screw that holds the rotor. These screws are really small...
Do you know where I can buy a replacement screw? And do you know what size this screw is?

VAChina

Looking Around
8/8/21
Hi My friends,

Possibly a fix for this would be to replace the rotor bearings on the 9015, which is the part causing all the noise. Removed the rotor, and it still makes the same noise when turning the bearings without the watch.

Can any mod expert chip in on whether is it (THEORETICALLY) possible to replace the rotor bearings with maybe an ETA 2824 bearing, which is easily available?

May solve all our conundrums