• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Looking for modding ideas (UPO)

CPTony

2/10/11
Finally i have the latest pumkin UPO on my wrist and it's a beauty!
Howver the bracelet is a lil bit loose on one lug and it is bothering me. So why not taking this as a chance to get some decent modding in EU (ie by domi?)?
I'm thinking about a reluming of dial + hands and pearl modding ... Is there any flaw i shoul be thinking about? Any advice is appreciated

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I am sure many will follow but my personal opinion is if you want to mod it just take the gen ones. Ok you will have to pay more, but it isnt that much more and the difference is big... On the other hand no one will know except you and us...

CPTony

2/10/11
tnx guys, I had already a look at that amazing topic but i'm not trying to build a franken, i believe it is not worth it for an UPO as it is already close to the gen.
I believe that reluming the dial+hands can make the job, but i wonder if some work can be done on the pearl ... i assume nothing else has to be changed to have a decent one on my wrist...

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
The necessary items to make it tighter and more reliable:
* Ebay bezel insert.
* Larger spring bars (to make the end links on the bracelet fit better)
* Bend the clasp spring out a little so the little mushroom is pulled in tighter. Careful!
* Have movement cleaned and serviced.

The not necessary items that would lift it a little, the above +:
* Lume dial and hands.
* Ebay bezel insert with modded rep pearl installed.
* AR coat the crystal, or replace it as the gen is sooooo much better and not much dearer.
* Crown and crown tube swap.
* Re-finish the bracelet end links so they match each side and mount level.

The 'I'm a complete nut' items, the above +:
* Gen dial
* ETA datewheel
* Gen hands
* Gen back
* Gen He valve
* Gen band/bracelet

The 'I have no idea what these guys are on about or how to do this stuff' items:
* Wear what you bought and don't worry
* Buy a gen!

chisin

Renowned Member
18/8/10
I'm gonna definitely agree with bittrader - you definitely, definitely need to either AR the crystal or get a gen.... I got a gen crystal, and when I first saw it after installation, tears nearly welled up in my eyes......it was so clear, the dial literally popped...it was like there was no crystal there.......I think the gen is around USD130-160.... I don't know how much an AR treatment costs.

I also got gen dial and gen hands, and Vac helped me to mod the pearl so that the colour matched the dial and hands and wasn't the sunken puke green.

CPTony

2/10/11
* Ebay bezel insert.
* Bend the clasp spring out a little so the little mushroom is pulled in tighter. Careful!

* Lume dial and hands.
* AR coat the crystal, or replace it as the gen is sooooo much better and not much dearer.

* Gen dial
* Gen hands
* Gen back
* Gen He valve
* Gen band/bracelet

The 'I have no idea what these guys are on about or how to do this stuff' items:
* Buy a gen!

wow man, thanks a lot, this is THE best answer i could get!

Inushuk

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/10/10
* Ebay bezel insert.

* Lume dial and hands.

* Gen dial
* Gen hands
* Gen back
* Gen He valve
* Gen band/bracelet

* Buy a gen!

:biglaugh: As per your definition Yes I 'm totally nuts !

Excellent reply ....

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
The bezel on the watch has the hole drilled off centre and the pearl sits a bit high. The triangle in which the pearl sits is badly printed.
The pearl on the watch has a tiny little lens.

The ebay replacement bezel has a (pretty well) centred pearl and a well printed triangle. The pearl on the ebay replacement bezel is a metal ferrule with a blob of bug poo inserted.

I have yet to do this mod, and I need to look more into how big the gen pearl actually is. Interestingly, you can turn the original pearl over and then make it bigger, which would also allow you to centre the pearl if your ebay bezel isn't quite dead on. But try to retain the little lens.

I'll post on this when I get to doing the research and job, but it's a ways off.