• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Let's just say..

DonBrizzel

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/8/09
Ok, so since I have been back I have been bounding all over the place because there are so many nice new reps out now.

I get to the vintage section of this forum, and I am GLUED to it. Something about vintage models just makes me warm inside.

So let's just say, now I am seriously contemplating doing a vintage piece along with the UNs that I want to buy for me and my fiancee.

I want to build a 1665 double red. Where would I begin?

Is there an excellent starting watch out there at the rep sites, or do I have to piece this thing together one piece at a time?

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Depends on how much you are willing to invest in the watch. Top end would be all gen minus the case. Source an MBW, or NDT/Yuki/J&W case and add as many gen parts as you can afford. Or go all high end rep using NDT/Yuki/J&W case/dial combos using either gen or ETA movements. Below that would be a base watch from someone like Angus (http://www.puretimewatch.com/product/sea-dweller-1665-vintage-double-red-best-edition-prototype/) or Perfect Clones as they both do reasonable base vintage reps. And bottom of the ladder would be the cheaper options from Silix for example.

Easy option is a pre-built watch at the lower end of the price scale. Sourcing parts and understanding what will fit, and what wont fit can be a lengthy and expensive journey. Most of the information is out there thankfully. The vintage section on here can be a bit quiet, i would suggest you take a walk over to rwgforum.com and check the Rolex section there.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
DB!!!!! Great to see ya man! Welcome home mate.

jiddy

Renowned Member
15/4/10
Gave up on Yuki, seems VERY hard to source parts from them.
Either out-of-stock or something else, did even fail to order springbars haha!
Any advice when you deal with Yuki? Is there a backdoor or something?

Cheers,
J