• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Lets get this done!

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/11/10
Guys,

Does anybody know how to shave a franken AP ROO caseback? Or maybe know someone who does?
I have been looking all around and found one person who can do it on RWG but I think hes so busy that hes not even answering his PMs

So RWI, can we do this?

kesha

29/10/10
You would have to put in a different movement as well since the A7550 w/ the sec@12 plate is fairly thick and needs the extra space provided by the thicker caseback. I've seen some people shave off like a hair, but it hardly seems worth it since it's still quite a bit thicker than the gen.

I've only seen one person do it successfully and I'm guessing it's the same guy you're referring to on RWG. However, his franken AP ROO had a different movement.

6/11/10
Yes, I've already found a LWO 283 movement, I'm just trying to find out if the shaving can be done. That would make the watch perfect!!! Well, almost perfect :)

vpx

Renowned Member
2/11/10
I would assume all that would be involved would be putting it in a lathe and taking off internal material until the desired thickness is reached. To make the surface feature to accommodate the o-ring, you would probably want to do that in a CNC mill with a ball nose end mill.

Imaknockov

18/1/11
I would assume all that would be involved would be putting it in a lathe and taking off internal material until the desired thickness is reached. To make the surface feature to accommodate the o-ring, you would probably want to do that in a CNC mill with a ball nose end mill.

I wonder if it might not be worthwhile to have someone back-engineer a gen caseback in a 3D cad program and just make a whole new one? The SS ones are mostly the same in terms of shape, just have different engravings.

vpx

Renowned Member
2/11/10
Reverse engineering the caseback and manufacturing a new one is definitely an option, but may be pricier.

Edgematic

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/08
I already tried to make a CAD file to get custom casebacks, however, I don't know if the dimensions are correct.

6/11/10
I read somewhere that the REP is 2.39mm and the GEN is 1.58mm

Imaknockov

18/1/11
I already tried to make a CAD file to get custom casebacks, however, I don't know if the dimensions are correct.

It may be wiser to work from the rep caseback and simply "squash" it down to 1.58mm thickness as there may be discrepancies in the diameter and location of screw holes vis à vis the gen. In reality, we just need it to look right, as I don't think anyone will be examining our reps with a set of calipers, especially on the wrist.

Edgematic

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/08
It's a CAD of the rep caseback :)

@VPX, send me a PM with your e-mail adress