• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Lack of Breitlings?

RepsAllDay

Do not accept unsolicited offers
25/7/24
Hi all, first time poster, long time lurker here!

I've got a few gens and a handful of reps that I sourced from TDs recommended on RWI (Trusty, Jtime), and I am looking to add a Breitling to my collection.
After extensive searches of TD sites and emails back and forth regarding availability - I'm stuck.
The two models I am after are either an Avenger 43 (3 hander) on bracelet or the new Superocean 42mm on bracelet.
I can't help but notice there is a distinct lack of good quality Breitlings available in general, since GF went off the map, save for a handful of select models.

As I see it, the only SO III options on bracelet are 44mm, which after some debating I think will just be too large for me.
Even then, most TDs only list the TF models, which don't seem as high quality as other factories.
Steve @ The One Watches has a 44mm SO on bracelet, from a mystery factory (I've seen suggestions this may be ORF? But not sure).
The 42mm would be perfect, but for some reason the 42mm models aren't available on bracelet, only rubber on TD sites.
There also seems to be quite a bit of debate as to whether a 42mm SO rep even exists, with many purchasers receiving 44mm models on delivery.

As for the Avenger, again, very few options on the table, with the most highly regarded being GF (NWBIG?) which are non existent, save for M2M sales.
This only leaves TF, which seem to be fairly low ranking in terms of quality - not to mention fairly major flaws like the wrong model number on the caseback.

So I guess what I'd like to know from those with a bit of insider knowledge is;

A) Is GF actually producing watches/or will they be available any time soon? (I've read they are, but yet to find a TD that has any)
B) Why aren't some of the more popular, higher quality factories doing Breitlings? (ie ZF/VSF etc)
C) Why is there so few options available on the newer Breitling models in general?

Is it simply lack of demand for Breitlings in general? I know some could argue that at their price point, gens aren't out of reach for many, therefore it's not worth it - but there are plenty of factories doing reps of much cheaper watches (Tudor, Longines, Tag Heuer) which are arguably even more obtainable in gen. These also seem to be available fairly quickly from launch of gen models. ZF are fairly hot at getting new models out in rep form from launch, and at decent quality.

Appreciate any thoughts/opinions/insider info, thanks for reading!

aguida

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
5/3/22
Hi all, first time poster, long time lurker here!

I've got a few gens and a handful of reps that I sourced from TDs recommended on RWI (Trusty, Jtime), and I am looking to add a Breitling to my collection.
After extensive searches of TD sites and emails back and forth regarding availability - I'm stuck.
The two models I am after are either an Avenger 43 (3 hander) on bracelet or the new Superocean 42mm on bracelet.
I can't help but notice there is a distinct lack of good quality Breitlings available in general, since GF went off the map, save for a handful of select models.

As I see it, the only SO III options on bracelet are 44mm, which after some debating I think will just be too large for me.
Even then, most TDs only list the TF models, which don't seem as high quality as other factories.
Steve @ The One Watches has a 44mm SO on bracelet, from a mystery factory (I've seen suggestions this may be ORF? But not sure).
The 42mm would be perfect, but for some reason the 42mm models aren't available on bracelet, only rubber on TD sites.
There also seems to be quite a bit of debate as to whether a 42mm SO rep even exists, with many purchasers receiving 44mm models on delivery.

As for the Avenger, again, very few options on the table, with the most highly regarded being GF (NWBIG?) which are non existent, save for M2M sales.
This only leaves TF, which seem to be fairly low ranking in terms of quality - not to mention fairly major flaws like the wrong model number on the caseback.

So I guess what I'd like to know from those with a bit of insider knowledge is;

A) Is GF actually producing watches/or will they be available any time soon? (I've read they are, but yet to find a TD that has any)
B) Why aren't some of the more popular, higher quality factories doing Breitlings? (ie ZF/VSF etc)
C) Why is there so few options available on the newer Breitling models in general?

Is it simply lack of demand for Breitlings in general? I know some could argue that at their price point, gens aren't out of reach for many, therefore it's not worth it - but there are plenty of factories doing reps of much cheaper watches (Tudor, Longines, Tag Heuer) which are arguably even more obtainable in gen. These also seem to be available fairly quickly from launch of gen models. ZF are fairly hot at getting new models out in rep form from launch, and at decent quality.

Appreciate any thoughts/opinions/insider info, thanks for reading!
My humble opinion is that Breitking has lost a lot of their own identity. They were THE pilot watches, big, strong and complicated now they are competing in the same area with broader appeal were other brands are much stronger, like Tudor, IWC etc.
I have few Breitling in my box, the classical from Britlings golden era: Navitimer, Aerospace, Avenger Bandit and a newer Premier.
I would strongly recommend the Avenger Bandit GF. I gave up upgrading to Gen because it is extremely accurate rep. If cannot be procured anymore look into M2M. Just my 2cc :)

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
You've gotta do some hunting as there are the occasional ones popping up on M2M every now and then. As said above, if you can get your hands on some of the GF offerings, you're laughing. Some outstanding reps were made

Reactions: RepsAllDay

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
hzdtmj.jpeg

Speak with @neon_7 - he'll have something to say I'm sure 😁

RepsAllDay

Do not accept unsolicited offers
25/7/24
My humble opinion is that Breitking has lost a lot of their own identity. They were THE pilot watches, big, strong and complicated now they are competing in the same area with broader appeal were other brands are much stronger, like Tudor, IWC etc.
I have few Breitling in my box, the classical from Britlings golden era: Navitimer, Aerospace, Avenger Bandit and a newer Premier.
I would strongly recommend the Avenger Bandit GF. I gave up upgrading to Gen because it is extremely accurate rep. If cannot be procured anymore look into M2M. Just my 2cc :)
Yeah I suppose that could well be the case! The issue is that I'm keen to get something up to 42-43mm max - and I am specifically looking for something on the Professional III bracelet (with OTF adjustment if possible). That narrows the choice down to either the newer Avengers, or the SO III.
You've gotta do some hunting as there are the occasional ones popping up on M2M every now and then. As said above, if you can get your hands on some of the GF offerings, you're laughing. Some outstanding reps were made
It definitely seems to be that the GF were top dog for Breitling reps, especially the Avengers. It's starting to look like the SO III is just not going to be an option for me - I could order a 42mm SO (which may end up being a 44mm in reality from what others have reported) and try to source a Pro III bracelet and clasp elsewhere (more than the value of the watch), but that seems fairly risky...or just keep eyes peeled on M2M for a GF Avenger 43 and be done with it.

It just seems such a shame that there aren't more quality factories churning out Breitlings. The new SO is killer in my opinion, love the colours, bracelet and new adjustable clasp. The previous version Avenger with the winged B and half brushed/half polished clasp that GF were producing were stunning!

The new Chronomats and Navitimers are great looking watches, but again the quality just seems to be a bit lacking in terms of which factories take a bash at them. ZF seemed to dabble with one or two models, but the majority that are available are TF and the odd BLS, with various flaws (engravings, crap lume pips, applied logos and poorly finished clasps/bracelets) to my eye.

Might just have to keep fingers crossed that one of the bigger and better factories decides to start producing them again. Maybe the refreshed and apparently more appealing releases from Breitling might spur the factories on to meet increased demand.
hzdtmj.jpeg

Speak with @neon_7 - he'll have something to say I'm sure 😁
Very nice btw!

Reactions: Got20Mate

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Yeah I suppose that could well be the case! The issue is that I'm keen to get something up to 42-43mm max - and I am specifically looking for something on the Professional III bracelet (with OTF adjustment if possible). That narrows the choice down to either the newer Avengers, or the SO III.

It definitely seems to be that the GF were top dog for Breitling reps, especially the Avengers. It's starting to look like the SO III is just not going to be an option for me - I could order a 42mm SO (which may end up being a 44mm in reality from what others have reported) and try to source a Pro III bracelet and clasp elsewhere (more than the value of the watch), but that seems fairly risky...or just keep eyes peeled on M2M for a GF Avenger 43 and be done with it.

It just seems such a shame that there aren't more quality factories churning out Breitlings. The new SO is killer in my opinion, love the colours, bracelet and new adjustable clasp. The previous version Avenger with the winged B and half brushed/half polished clasp that GF were producing were stunning!

The new Chronomats and Navitimers are great looking watches, but again the quality just seems to be a bit lacking in terms of which factories take a bash at them. ZF seemed to dabble with one or two models, but the majority that are available are TF and the odd BLS, with various flaws (engravings, crap lume pips, applied logos and poorly finished clasps/bracelets) to my eye.

Might just have to keep fingers crossed that one of the bigger and better factories decides to start producing them again. Maybe the refreshed and apparently more appealing releases from Breitling might spur the factories on to meet increased demand.

Very nice btw!
Would love to see a rep of that Pistachio dial done well!