• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

KRF 36mm Explorer 1 - (almost) impossible crown

Tom-HK

Horology Curious
21/2/15
Yesterday I received a KRF 1:1 Best Edition, 36mm Explorer 1 from a TD. Actually the second watch I have had from this TD, though the first was quite a few years ago.

I went with the generic A2824 movement.

Dealing with the TD was fairly straightforward and making payment wasn't too difficult. The watch arrived in good time (6 days from dispatch). It looks good; same as QC pics.

Then I tried to unscrew the screw-down crown...

Bloody hell! Took skin off the fingers and thumbs. Finally got the crown unscrewed. Noticed a few things:

1. The spring, pushing the crown out, is VERY strong. Takes a significant amount of effort to push the crown back in.
2. When unscrewed and loose, the crown sits at a slight angle, that is consistent regardless of the rotational position, suggesting the movement sits ever so slightly further back in the case than you would expect if it fitted properly.
3. Screwing the screw-down crown back in place, and unscrewing it again, cannot be done by hand. I need either a pair of pliers or one of those crown winder tools that's a bit like a big pin vise.

Other things, not about the crown:

4. The winding is heavy. Very heavy. I have a lot of watches; none is this heavy on the wind. That's not necessarily a problem, as I have never had an A2824, before, so I cannot say if this is normal or not. It is just an observation.
5. The locking, crown part of the bracelet clasp works okay, but disappointingly does not snap down fully into place. It sits just a little proud; a bit loose.
6. Even with a healthy dose of extra bright illumination to charge it up, the lume on this watch lasts almost no time at all.
7. The QC pics showed the watch on a timegrapher running at +8 seconds per day. My observation over the last two days has suggested it is running nearer +50 seconds. This is not really a problem. I shall take the back off, pop the watch on a timegrapher and trim the rate, a bit better, when I get into work tomorrow.

Good bits:

8. It looks good. Very much like the gen, as far as I can tell.
9. The bracelet is very comfortable and has the half link internal adjustment feature, which is useful.

I have e-mailed the TD about the crown issue, but just got their out-of-office reply, as they are now on Chinese New Year. If I had the parts, I would replace the screw-down crown and crown tube, myself, though I am not sure if this is the best approach.

Tom-HK

Horology Curious
21/2/15
UPDATE: I took off the back and put it on my timegrapher and regulated it. I also looked at the crown tube under a good loupe, and it is really messed up. Given how difficult it was to unscrew the crown when the watch first arrived, I am going to assume whoever last wound it / set the time before posting it, crossed the threads when he screwed the crown down.

So disappointing. Without a tool to work the crown, the watch is unusable.

Trish Rashford

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/1/24
sounds very frustrating - but very good choice on the Explorer I, looks amazing on your wrist