• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Just received my 42mm PO. (Pics included)

digimon

Do not accept unsolicited offers
20/3/11
All,

I just received my 5th generation 42mm Planet Ocean with swiss movement from Josh. This is my first ever rep, so I was excited to receive it. Josh was a pleasure to deal with and the shipping was fast. It took 10 days for the watch to arrive (eventhough it felt like an eternity due to my excitement). My first observation was how heavy the watch was. It weighed 210 grams before link removals. I was very impressed by the weight and feel. It is definately made of high quality material. The crown and the helium valve are definately larger compared to the gen, so I am wondering if this watch can be modded (any suggestions would be helpful). I was not overly impressed with the pearl, but I can live with that as well. The links can be a pain to remove. So make sure you have an actual watch tool kit. Otherwise you can do some serious damage. Overall, the watch feels and looks great and I think it was a great purchase.

Here are some pics. Comments are welcomed. Also, because I am a noob at this, can someone confirm whether the last picture is swiss movement? I always thought that swiss movement meant a smooth second hand. However, the second hand on my watch has a slight stutter (though barely noticable). I just want to make sure that I got what I paid for.

IMG_4079.JPG

IMG_4109.JPG

Note that the pearl seems too low compared to the gen. Can this be fixed?

IMG_4104.JPG

IMG_4114.JPG

The bracelet is definately grade A quality. I was not expecting such quality from a rep.

IMG_4112.JPG

Engravings are accurate.

IMG_4103.JPG

Nice screwon caseback.

IMG_4090.JPG

The "952" is facing the wrong way.

IMG_4088.JPG

Here is the movemement. Can someone confirm if this is truly swiss movement?

Let me know what you all think. I can post more pictures if someone wants a better look.

Digi

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
Yup! The pearl is one thing that puts me off getting a UPO. Other than than that, everything for UPO is very good. I hope they will come out a 6th PO which will address the pearl problem.

Anyway, congrat owing the UPO.

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
You would think that after 5+ years..>>>

SOMEBODY would have been able to figure out where the effin pearl belongs....!!
Aside from the Rolex Sub, the PO HAS to be the most often imitated, but NEVER truly duplicated watch in rep history!!....
Yet they keep selling like hotcakes!!
Am I the only one who recognizes the connection..???

Kal Vilmer

24/1/11
Yup! The pearl is one thing that puts me off getting a UPO. Other than than that, everything for UPO is very good. I hope they will come out a 6th PO which will address the pearl problem.

Anyway, congrat owing the UPO.

I thought people called "UPO" the 45mm version not the 42 one.
I think people call this a 5th gen 42 PO.

Anyway, can't you buy another bezel or another insert?

digimon

20/3/11
Where can I get a gen bezel and a gen crown and helium valve?

Renowned Member
30/3/09
Ofrei (google them) or perhaps talk to one of the modders and they will happily help you.
They are a great watch to mod and get looking as gen as you can.

I want Daytona

Getting To Know The Place
20/8/09
everything looks good, except both crowns, pearl, datewheel, and obviously lume.

This watch is only good if frankened. Sorry mate!

Great watch though!

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
You got a nice 5GPO there. I would just wear it for a bit and make sure you are committed to this piece befor starting a Franken project.

Otto Frei has everything you need. Just check R2D4's Gen parts list.(it's a sticky) ;)

paule11

Known Member
10/8/10
I think the gens are not super smooth 25000 beats have a look on youtube

digimon

20/3/11
Thanks for the feedback. I think the mods that I'll look into are replacing the crown and helium valve and a new bezel. Everything else seems satisfactory. I am not too concerned about lume since no one is going to be looking at my watch at night. How easy are these mods for someone who has no experience modding watches? Otherwise, how much do you guys think I am looking at if I pay someone to mod those three things?

TheExit148

5/1/11
Thanks for the feedback. I think the mods that I'll look into are replacing the crown and helium valve and a new bezel. Everything else seems satisfactory. I am not too concerned about lume since no one is going to be looking at my watch at night. How easy are these mods for someone who has no experience modding watches? Otherwise, how much do you guys think I am looking at if I pay someone to mod those three things?
Im very curious on this as well, as I have a 42mm PO coming and these are the mods that I want to do to it.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
You first need to find out who is willing to do the job me thinks. :thinking:

teoulennon

Renowned Member
17/5/11
I plan on doing the same. Is it something that requires special tools/experience to do or can it be done with "instructions"?

Pakz

Renowned Member
15/4/11
Looks very nice. (albeit a bit too understated in black/white, I went for the orange bezel with orange numerals... gives more life to the dial, IMNSHO ;))

As for knowing whether the movement is Swiss or Asian clone, we'd need much much closer pictures, detailed macros and such, since the difference between a ETA 2824 and a Asian clone of 2824 will be in the details of the anti-shock, in the finesse of the engraving etc. Overall they are almost perfect substitutes for each other... But I trust Josh to really give you Swiss if he sells you Swiss... (it might be refurbished, 'though)

The "stutter" of the seconds hand exists, but is very limited (8 vibrations/ticks per second, 28800 per hour). More limited actually than on the gen (7 vibrations/ticks per second, 25200 per hour). It's the same on the Swiss 2824, on the Asian clone... and even on the DG4813 aka 21j! What changes is the reliability and the "repairability" and the "frankenability" since only the Swiss 2824 and the Asian clone can accept a gen dial and gen hands without further modding.

teoulennon

Renowned Member
17/5/11
What changes is the reliability and the "repairability" and the "frankenability" since only the Swiss 2824 and the Asian clone can accept a gen dial and gen hands without further modding.

Thanks for this info Pakz, very helpful!

charm_muppet

20/9/09
lovely looking watch...even has the anti counterfeit globe! Where did you say you got it from again?

teoulennon

Renowned Member
17/5/11
He got it from joshua. Anyone have a link for help with replacing the He valve with gen? I can't find anything..

digimon

20/3/11
The dealer is known as Josh from perfect clones. You can find more information on this dealer in the trusted dealers area of RepGeek.