• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Japanese chronos?

Crunchyorange

Horology Curious
23/2/12
I'm gonna buy a Seamaster Planet Ocean off TimeShops but the chronos only come in "Japanese quartz" and "Japanese OS Chronograph" do both actually work with the dials? And which is better?

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Well the OS20 is a Japanese quartz chronograph and does definitively work the sub dials.
Without knowing exactly what "Japanese Quartz" the other refers to I can't tell you if it's a chrono MVT or not. I suspect it's the one and the same however. Always helps to put the link to the watches in question in the thread mate.

Crunchyorange

Horology Curious
23/2/12
I'll put some links to the watches in question although they don't clarify any more than what I've said. Does anyone know if a chrono can run with a 21J. I've been told it won't happen but I need to be sure.

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
The A21J movement will not run a chrono (to the best of my knowledge - I have yet to see or hear of one that does).

Pix

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Most of the time you get Miyota (Citizen) quartz movements in our reps. The most common is the OS20.
If citizen is originally a japanese company, it's most likely that these movements are made in China.
Good enough and inexpensive.

68Olds

9/7/10
US

68Olds

9/7/10
US
One the watch you linked, there is a 10, 20, 30 sub-dial at 3 o'clock. The function is a 24 hour dial (i.e. 18 at 6pm), so the markings are kinda useless.

The two sub-dials on the one I linked work as labeled. The new genuine Omega chrono has two hands on the 3 o'clock sub-dial, that function will probably never be accurately repped.

68Olds

9/7/10
US
The 6 o'clock sub-dial is labeled 1 thru 12, but its function is actually the second hand. The 9 o'clock never moves on mine since I usually don't run the stop watch.

They wanted the sub-dials to look correct, but weren't too concerned about the functions matching the dials. It is still a nice looking watch & I wear mine weekly. ;)

Crunchyorange

Horology Curious
23/2/12
I'm not sure which to go for. Because i love the three dial look but if two don't work its probably not worth it. And im not sure what the dials (on the one with only two) are supposed to function as.

68Olds

9/7/10
US
Yes, the chrono works. The main second hand sits at 12. The 2 o'clock pusher starts it and stops it, the 4 o'clock pusher resets it to 12. The 9 o'clock sub-dial counts minutes (up to 60) when the main second hand is running & also resets.

The sub-dial second hand at 6 o'clock works - as in it takes 60 seconds to revolve, but the markings don't match the function. Same goes for the 3 o'clock dial - it works, but the function doesn't match the dial.

Those two things never bother me. Mine has been a great looking reliable watch.

Crunchyorange

Horology Curious
23/2/12
Thanks for the info. I just want a rep with a chrono so I wouldn't have to zero my watch to time something. The bezel doesn't seem as accurate as that.