• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

It's official - you cannot open the Richard Mille reps!!!

drhydro

23/3/06
These screws appear to be 5-point TORX types. Not Six!
A quick search yields this, among others-
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/22-9795

I have no idea what size the RM screws are, looks like this particular set goes down to 2.29mm, which I suspect is too big.... hmmm...
here they are from WIHA, but you gotta BE somebody: http://www.wihatools.com/700seri/716_IPR_serie.htm

these I'm finding are mostly T8 and bigger. more lookin', more'n'likely.

I will check with the guys at my old factory... hah, I just retired in February, and it's already the old factory! :shock: ... because we do have a source for these, officially- bigger sizes, but I may be able to source them.
Stay tuned.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Seems to me that the easiest way to make a tool would be to find the right sized Torx screw and grind the outside diameter until it fit...

Quick pic of a Torx screw for those like me that are visually impaired. :)

High_Quality_Various_of_Torx_Head_S.jpg

myth-busted.jpg
:p

jj69

Renowned Member
1/12/06
I went through similar BS with the DeWitt Academia. The DeWitt uses Torx Security bits. A set with the correct size driver can be bought from MCM electronics for $19.99. Lowest price I've seen anywhere.

However, once I got the bits, I tried to remove the strap and realized that one of the 4 bits on the watch was stripped! It had to be pried off. What do you think are the chances of finding a replacement bit? I'm thinking 0.

I also ended scratching the Ti case in the process. I was so furious I threw the watch in a bag and I haven't been able to bring myself to look at it since. Some of these reps just aren't worth the effort.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Can somone post a macro pic of the screws in question please?
The putty trick should work. To get it perfect use some fiberglass mould relese agent, it's like a thin skin that you paint on. That way you can leave the putty in place untill set. Make shure you get complete coverage! A FG shop such as a boat yard should be able to sell you a small amount. It's great for all kinds of masking jobs on odd shaped parts.

Col.

Tommy Tom

Renowned Member
28/11/06
I've tried everything - the putty, melting a stabilo pen top and making a mold and nothing is strong enough. It is so thin that even when the putty is solid the moment you start turning it threads. The difficulty as you can see from the image is the distance from the actual screw to the side of the hole - it's not even mm's

Here's a close-up....dealers still won't sell me a screwdriver - they must have some!!!

phillycheez

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/6/09
this is great... well not for you but the fact its a rep and people who own richard mille gens would have the same problem as you!

Anyways, another great example of how far reps have come!

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
Tommy
I have a full service machine shop at the hangar and this guy that makes specialty tools.
He can take a mold, make a plug and a die cast a tool.
PM me , I'll help ya bro.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
watchbuff said:
Tommy
I have a full service machine shop at the hangar and this guy that makes specialty tools.
He can take a mold, make a plug and a die cast a tool.
PM me , I'll help ya bro.

There you go! Problem solved. may as well make a few while you're at it WB!

Col.

Renowned Member
30/3/09
This is what I love about this site. The stuff you learn, not only about Brands of watches- never heard of Richard Mille, but am now off to do some looking- but you also learn about the ingenuity and creativity of individuals out there. Thanks for the education everyone, I have really enjoyed reading this thread.