• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is this real? - Ladies Tag Heuer Aquaracer

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
Look into what you're covered for by paypal, contact the seller stating if you're the winning bidder that you're going to an AD to check the watches authenticity and try to gauge their reaction. We are all born with instincts though, so if you're in doubt, use them and walk away if the bidding goes too high. As for the watch itself, no idea but I remember one of the new dealers were selling this watch through the board last year. Do a search and take a look to maybe help you spot any tells...

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
Another ploy I've used on e-bay is to ask the seller for the serial number so that you can check it's authenticity on the manufacturers web data base, their silence may speak volumes. I did this several times when looking for an SMP last year, 90% of the sellers pulled their watches...e-bay can be a minefield... :wink:

blue8300

Horology Curious
22/2/09
One thing is sure, it's not the right box ... but that could be a detail

mw1015

Renowned Member
26/1/09
thanks for the advice guys

i pm'ed the seller to ask for the serial # but have yet to receive a reply. with only 18 hrs or so to go on the auction, its probably a bit too late and i expect the bids to skyrocket soon enuf so i might just walk away from this one. not too keen to get burned on ebay.

thanks again :)

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
He's not going to send you the serial number. I wouldn't. Especially if it was a gen.

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
If the seller is honest and they want a sale, why wouldn't they send the serial? Educate me...

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
There have been instances where serial numbers have been used for fraudulent reasons. Even on auctions where the seller is known to be honest they will usually only give part of it. The thing about this watch is that it's a Sharapova edition. So no one in their right mind would have thrown the stuff that came with it away. If he did then the watch is not worth as much. And I am sure the bidding will go much higher before it's over.

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
Maybe I haven't been clear after reading my original post. In the past when I was looking for a gen SMP on the bay, I asked sellers for the serial to check etc. as a ploy to weed out fraudulant sellers. This worked and several pulled the watches. A few sent me the serial and a couple said they would send it to me if I was the successful bidder so I could check it out before payment. It was just another 'tool' ,so to speak, in making sure I would, in fact, buy a gen. To be honest you can get cheaper deals through the gen watch forums where people have references. The deals on e-bay that are too good to be true are simply just TOO good to be true 99% of the time...To be honest though, without owning the actual watch, how would the serial be usefull to a fraudster? Any examples?

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Well giving it after the sale would make sense. At least it used to because the sellers use to have more recourse. Nowadays they can't eve leave negative feedback. Before the sellers could drop the hammer on scumbags who backed out, But it's a buyers site for sure now. I guess it depends on the seller and the auction. If he doesn't answer I don't think it's indicative of anything. This one is going to sell for some coin no matter what. If I were selling it I probably wouldn't answer the email.

blindnz

Looking Around
5/4/09
blue8300 said:
One thing is sure, it's not the right box ... but that could be a detail

No, its the right box, an older box but these are still around and are genuine packaging. maybe just all stock

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
sconehead said:
Another ploy I've used on e-bay is to ask the seller for the serial number so that you can check it's authenticity on the manufacturers web data base, their silence may speak volumes. I did this several times when looking for an SMP last year, 90% of the sellers pulled their watches...e-bay can be a minefield... :wink:

That's the perfect solution. I have seen many Cariter Tank reps bid up on Ebay so high that clearly the buyers did not have a clue and thought it was real. Funny thing is the Tanks are so easy to spot because the gen quartz has no second hand, smooth off white dial, and date at 3 o'clock. All the reps are modeled after the auto with second hand, guillochage dial, and date at 6, but still have a quartz movement (except the new ones with auto movement and date at 4 o'clock) - I digress.

Point is - there must be some real suckers buying shit on ebay. Serial number is good protection. If the seller doesn't get back to you just back out and watch for fun.

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
I agree Fakey - the seller may not want to give the whole number prior to the sale - but even a partial 123xxx would put me at ease that the person was probably selling a gen and willing to give the rest of the number for verification after the sale.

Just my $.02