• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is there a tutorial on spa bathing with before and after shots?

Chrononymous

Ask Dr. Emmett Brown
27/12/23
I keep hearing about putting your bracelet into a bath of baby oil to make it shine more. Is there any good tutorial on this stuff with before and after shots to show the results? I have a submariner I could do something like that with.

Cheers.

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
There's been a few posts over the years. Different opinions on what to use etc. I found this------>

oil-bath.280817

Never bathed any of my watch bands in oil, though. Never felt the need. A good ultra-sonic cleaner is nice to have to clean them with, though.

Reactions: Chrononymous

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
It's not really about the shine. it's about the bracelet not being cleaned and oiled properly on the Chinese factories and the baby oil treatment makes the bracelet öedd rattly, more "moveable" and also provides a better / higher quality feel.

domiffm

buffalo is sick
Patron
Certified
28/4/15
Germany
The purpose of bathing the bracelet in (baby) oil is not to make it shinier, but to make the bracelet smoother. Rep bracelets often feel rattly and not smooth when moving the links.

If you put it in baby oil for a few hours, moving the links back and forth a little in between, it will feel great and smoother. Some people say that it feels more gen like, especially on Rep Rolex bracelets, which I can personally confirm.

I at least give all my oyster bracelets an initial oil bath, it's definitely worth it.

You just have to clean it very well after the oil bath, I use microfibre cloths very well for this.

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Also, it smells more like a baby than a dirty Chinese factory, so there's that.

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
@spd3672 . . . you're into smelling babies, mate?
I don't go out of my way to do it, lol, but I do love the fresh smell of a baby (assuming they don't need to be changed).

domiffm

buffalo is sick
Patron
Certified
28/4/15
Germany
Every.single.time
IMG-7645.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Storm.

Chrononymous

Ask Dr. Emmett Brown
27/12/23
I don't go out of my way to do it, lol, but I do love the fresh smell of a baby (assuming they don't need to be changed).
If it smells like baby oil, then GL.

If it smells like a baby that needs to be changed, then you got a shitter.

There's been a few posts over the years. Different opinions on what to use etc. I found this------>

oil-bath.280817

Never bathed any of my watch bands in oil, though. Never felt the need. A good ultra-sonic cleaner is nice to have to clean them with, though.
Well, that explains why there are no photos, lol. So, it has more to do with stiff links than looking better. That point about an ultrasonic cleaner makes a lot more sense for bringing out the best.

• Haha
Reactions: dpd3672

flashu

Tequila Patron
Supporter
Certified
5/2/22
EU
it's about the bracelet not being cleaned and oiled properly on the Chinese factories

Exactly this, I just had a screw loose on one of the bracelets, removing the screw to see exactly if it was damaged or just unscrew I noticed that it was basically not cleaned almost dark in color where the threads are located and also just bellow the top head of the screw.

This makes bracelet sometimes making a squish noise and being not that flush on the wrist, therefore "oiling" and cleaning makes justice.