• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is there a 42MM Omega Planet Ocean 'UPO' version?

bus_ter

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/7/09
I've been trying to research the 42mm version of the PO to make sure I get the best possible version I can afford.

There has been much talk of the 45mm UPO version, but its not clear if they make a 42mm UTO version?

Even the UTO version seems to date back to 2006 from reading old threads. Have there been any improvements since the 2006 UPO and what's the latest version? and what are the latest improvements so I can check I'm getting the latest version?

So many questions I know! But anyone who researched and recently bought a 42MM PO should be able to answer these.

Thanks for any help!

VB_Spike

Renowned Member
23/7/09
+1

I'd like to know too.

I posted in another UPO topic but i think it was old and dead, no one answered.

I don't think I can pull off 45.5mm, 42 would be nice. Ideally I would like a 42mm chrono. That would be f***in awesome! Everyone could rock one of them....

dslmkr

Renowned Member
Certified
3/4/06
I've been looking for years,the best I've seen is from Paul who is no longer on this board,he's at pam111.com......

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
Yes there was an ultimate version but it is no longer being produced since over a year ago. It was known on these boards as the 4th generation 42.5mm PO. It's very nice but it has a few flaws that barely anyone would ever notice. And the lume is known to fall off the markers. I own two of them. one needs the dial relumed or replaced with a genuine dial.

If you want to save money, i'd suggest just purchasing whatever I think the dealer was Narikaa. Maybe I'm wrong..some dealer on here has a popular one right now but it has a lot of flaws if you compare it to the 4th generation. Still a lot of people like it. A 4th generation PO costs at least $230 if you can find one, possibly more now since it is discontinued.

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
I have a 4th gen 42mm PO. Some people refer to it as the "5th" gen version. Whatever version of it, it is still available. The dealer is not listed on this forum, so you have to go to another forum to find out who he is. He has it for $300 or $320.

It fixes most of the flaws the budget version has, but not all of them. I know of at least 2 or three other flaws that it has, but you have to be a real "enthusiast" of this watch to know of them.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I have both Narikaa's and Sead's. Narikaa's is the $100 special that is excellent for the money. The main flaws are the HE valve is not in the right place and the HE valve crown is too large. Also the minute hand is too short. And the bezel is not correct. It is the same scalloped edge as the 45mm, where it should have a coin edge.

Sead's fixes these flaws but the actual case is not near as correct as Narikaa's. Sead's is roughly 3x as expensive. Also Sead's is Eta 2836 and Narikaa's is Asian 21j movement. Also in my opinion Narkaa's has a slightly better bracelet and has an option of a rubber strap.

Both are excellent watches. It just depends on which flaws you can live with.

watchman1

Renowned Member
21/11/06
Actually Fakemaster builds the best 42mm UPO I have ever seen (IMHO). Perhaps you all can contact him and see if he is still producing them. I don't think I paid more than $150 for it and it is awesome!! Here is a picture of it:

100_0536.jpg

Here it is with the rubber strap;
100_0551.jpg

My pictures aren't the best but you get the idea.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
watchman1 said:
Actually Fakemaster builds the best 42mm UPO I have ever seen (IMHO). Perhaps you all can contact him and see if he is still producing them. I don't think I paid more than $150 for it and it is awesome!! Here is a picture of it:

100_0536.jpg

100_0551.jpg

Looks just like Narikaa's except $50 more expensive.

watchman1

Renowned Member
21/11/06
KBH said:
watchman1 said:

100_0536.jpg

100_0551.jpg

Looks just like Narikaa's except $50 more expensive.

It may look similar, but there is no way in hell it will compare. Does Narikaa's builds then qc's EACH watch to make sure it is perfect! FM's watches are BEAUTIFUL, heavy and again the best part is, he qc's them. Also, you have the added assurance that the watches he builds are awesome because he is on this forum and his reputation is at stake. You don't have to accept my opinion, if possible (or if you want to), go to FM's page and read all the compliments FM has gotten on the watch he builds.

Here is the original post of the watch I bought from Fakemaster:

viewtopic.php?f=206&t=48872

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Hey, whatever makes you happy..

It's still the same watch as Narikaa's with the short minute hand, the wrong crown, the oversized HEvalve that's in the wrong posistion and the scalloped bezel which are all wrong for the 42.

And actually, Narikaa does hand select all his watches personally. My guess is the only difference is FM greases the seals and possibly times them.

But if FM is your watch God, I'm really happy for you.

watchman1

Renowned Member
21/11/06
KBH said:
Hey, whatever makes you happy..

It's still the same watch as Narikaa's with the short minute hand, the wrong crown, the oversized HEvalve that's in the wrong posistion and the scalloped bezel which are all wrong for the 42.

And actually, Narikaa does hand select all his watches personally. My guess is the only difference is FM greases the seals and possibly times them.

But if FM is your watch God, I'm really happy for you.

You sure told me.

Damagelimitation

18/6/09
Awwww c'mon guys "can't we all just get along?" :wink:

Sorry to the OP, but do your comments re: the inaccuracies of the latest reps also refer to the 45mm version?

TIA

PS PLAY NICE!! 8)

watchman1

Renowned Member
21/11/06
Damagelimitation said:
Awwww c'mon guys "can't we all just get along?" :wink:

Sorry to the OP, but do your comments re: the inaccuracies of the latest reps also refer to the 45mm version?

TIA

PS PLAY NICE!! 8)

He has a right to his opinion; no harm done. Most of the things that he pointed out are not even things that most people would notice or even care about. I had the watch sized (not at the AD) but a local watchsmith and he either thought the watch was a gen or the best rep that he had ever seen; either way he complimented the watch for what seemed like hours.

Personally, I don't care about the nuances of reps (scalloped bezels, small hands...etc) because its inconsequential when its on your wrist. I wear both gen and reps. 99% of people could care less or even notice that I didn't mod my rep to look EXACTLY like the gen. They also have no idea that my gens are actually gens...because THEY DON'T GIVE A SHIT.

I buy gens when I care about the minute details of the watch and I want it be FLAWLESS. I buy reps knowing that I am getting an "interpretation" of the gen and I am fine with that.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I have a few friends who have the Gen 42mm.
We compared them over dinner and lot's of wine.(I think it was a La Crema Merlot?)

Let's just say that they were pissed off because of the money they spent.

Mine is Narika's and I love it. I have two, one on steel and one on rubber.
I wore it in the pool last week when my 4 year old daughter learned to swim.
Good times.

Oh, and I love my Fakemaster "Bargain Bin" PVD Sub also.

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
Well when you own a 4th gen and see the differences between it and the Narikaa model, it is kind of tough to figure that you would've been better off saving $100 or so. But usually I wear my third one which has a lot of flaws because yeah when it is on your wrist it doesn't really matter if it has a fluted bezel. Also I definitely wouldn't mind owning the genuine, this is above all my favorite watch (the orange bezel one, I'm not trying to be a faux James Bond here at all :) I liked the watch, not from the film (yeah I know it is the 45mm version in the film) but when I saw the gen 45mm at the AD and I ended up liking the 42.5mm one better because it fits my wrist better and I like the bezel on it more and the engraving on the clasp I prefer the 42.5mm bracelet.

bus_ter

9/7/09
Thanks for all the replies, even the 'debate' proved useful :)

I've come to the conclusion that (and please correct me if I'm wrong), the 42mm and 45mm versions of the PO have undergone their own revision history. As it stands the latest UPO 45mm seems to be a better rep than the latest 42mm version.

If anyone has any further info please add to the thread :D

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Sorry if I came off sounding a little harsh. I apologize. The thought of people believing that Fakemaster was actually building these watches set me off I guess. I know he doe's great QC and his after sales service is tops. But he gets them the same place as everybody else.

Any way, I have the UPO, the POrikaa, and the 4th/5th gen 42.5mm. I think the UPO is by far the most accurate but it's just too big for the average guy.

Narikaa's has more flaws but I think it is actually, more visually appealing than the 5th generation from Sead. And the quality of the case and bracelet are possibly slightly better. So it all depends on what you are looking for, and which flaws bother you more, I guess. I still haven't decided which one to keep and which one to sell. They're both great watches though.

Nightshift

Looking Around
13/10/10
I'm a newbie and been reading like mad here but getting more confused as to what is currently available today (since many of these threads are 1-2 years old). I prefer the smaller 42mm Seamaster Chrono, with SS band, black dial with while numbers and sapphire crystal. So here's my dumb questions:

- is the Seamaster chrono pro (not the PO) still available, and if so from whom?
- I have yet to find a thread that helps me understand the differences between the different movements in these reps. What I want is a battery operated quartz movement I think rather than an auto (I won't wear it every day) or a manual wind (I don't want to wind and set it whenever I sporadically wear it).
- if the Seamaster chrono pro (above) is not available, my next choice would be a 42mm Ultimate PO, as the threads seem to indicate these reps are closer to a gen. Is this 42mm UPO available and if so from whom? Or is it only available in 45.5mm? I do see several dealers offering both sizes of PO Chrono's, but these are 4/5th gen I understand and not quite as correct as the UPO if I understand this correctly.

I appreciate the help trying to sort this out so I can make a decision and buy something! Cheers, Bill

rol_man

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
The new 42mm UPO?

Resurrecting an old subject...

Awhile back there was considerable discussion about when the next gen (UPO) version of the 42mm PO would become available, looks as though it's finally coming to market. Was cruising some of the sites last night and came up with the following link, not a trusted dealer of this forum however, I'm sure if we check through our dealers it will become available. You may have to try the link a couple of times

http://www.1-pc8838.com/0omse00054-planet-ocean-ssss-swiss2824-p-9523.html

Glimmer

15/5/10
Saw the "no happy feet" version pop up a little while ago somewhere but so far only in black bezel. This one seems to have both colour bezel as well as no happy feet, could it be that my search is over? Im guessing the other dealers should be getting this one in shortly? Seeing as I'd rather order from a (still) trusted dealer that is. Looks pretty good tho!