• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is the new Speedmaster Date double AR'ed?

TheReplica

Horology Curious
1/10/07
Hi everyone.

I am having trouble telling if the new Speedmaster Date with the A7750 28800bpm has double AR like the PO or just on the inside?

If it's double AR'ed, then how scratch resistant is the AR? On the gen Breitling forums, they say there are many different grades of AR (ie. Hardened vs soft/normal AR). Which kind is on the reps?

Thanks very much in advance.

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
i dont think it does.

if it were, dealers would have advertised it. they dont even mention if it's single sided AR, so i might just assume it has ZERO AR.

i can only imagine whatever is the cheapest method would be the one on reps - but i doubt anyone is willing to test that theory :D

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
TheReplica said:
Hi everyone.

I am having trouble telling if the new Speedmaster Date with the A7750 28800bpm has double AR like the PO or just on the inside?

If it's double AR'ed, then how scratch resistant is the AR? On the gen Breitling forums, they say there are many different grades of AR (ie. Hardened vs soft/normal AR). Which kind is on the reps?

is there a gen breitling forum? i haven't been able to find anything except the breitling source and the sub sections on tz and stuff like that.

TheReplica

Horology Curious
1/10/07
hk45ca said:
TheReplica said:
Hi everyone.

is there a gen breitling forum? i haven't been able to find anything except the breitling source and the sub sections on tz and stuff like that.

Oh by gen Breitling forum I mean the subforums on Watch Talk Forum/Watch U Seek/TZ etc. Sorry for misleading you. :(

TheReplica

Horology Curious
1/10/07
crick said:
i dont think it does.

if it were, dealers would have advertised it. they dont even mention if it's single sided AR, so i might just assume it has ZERO AR.

i can only imagine whatever is the cheapest method would be the one on reps - but i doubt anyone is willing to test that theory :D

There is definitely some AR because all the reflections are purple. Just not sure if it's on inside or outside? Thanks.

crick

1/8/06
*edited out cuz i'm a retard*

i've only looked at josh's and andrew's website.

edit: oops! found some in purtime as well.

hard to say. best bet to email the dealer. funny thing is there's no big advertisement about it having double AR. just AR. love that vaguenessWOOT. lastime i bought something that said it had AR, it was single sided and still glared.

edit edit: love the fact i was so wrong about the AR too. i'm gonna let someone who has the watch say something.

crick

1/8/06
hey theReplica,

i'm gonna apologize in advance cuz what i'm about to say doesnt really answer any of your questions :)

but when i bought my PO, it had single sided AR (all it advertised was that it had AR). Here's the image:

CRW_1396.jpg

you'll notice the purple tinge on it and the big white blob that is my lamp. When i got my gen PO, it was a world of difference.

Which brings me to ask: why do some of the images i see have so much dam purple tint on it. You want to advertise AR! not that it's got a purple tint! It's like GLARING in every foto? i guess they watned to show it had AR *sigh* *endRant*

with some real nice dbl sided AR, it should look like this:

http://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?m ... ts_id=2451

like there's no xstal on it. that's a way to sell ddbl sided AR. and also the "DOUBLE AR" note :D

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
i went to my breitling ad and all of them looked exactly like my evo from ruby. the light reflection was blue/purple. i didn't realize it but even the ladies breitlings are like that also. pretty cool. 8)

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Well... It still does have some trace of bluish tint. Can't say that it's a double AR coating. Nonetheless, it looks like to be a pretty well made replica (at least one of the best Speedmaster rep to date).

TheReplica

Horology Curious
1/10/07
takashi said:
Well... It still does have some trace of bluish tint. Can't say that it's a double AR coating. Nonetheless, it looks like to be a pretty well made replica (at least one of the best Speedmaster rep to date).

I totally agree. It's very well made and accurate too (mine runs +0.5-1 secs/day). Haven't tested the "waterproof" yet although it's surviving my daily showers. Just wondering about the AR because if it's double coated then I have to be extra careful otherwise I'll wear it like any other watch.

Thanks everyone for replies :)

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
You can actually confirm it under a bright light bulb. If you see the light colour reflection, it's single AR coated. If not, it will be double coated... or tinted should I say. The real AR should not be visible all the time. It will make your crystal much more visible.

TheReplica

Horology Curious
1/10/07
takashi said:
You can actually confirm it under a bright light bulb. If you see the light colour reflection, it's single AR coated. If not, it will be double coated... or tinted should I say. The real AR should not be visible all the time. It will make your crystal much more visible.

YUP just did that... single AR because I see 2 reflections (almost on top of each other): one purple and one white. So assumming the purple one is from the inner AR and the white one from the other surface of the sapphire.

Thanks very much for the tip. :D