• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is my watch supposed to have near ZERO magnetic field?

14/4/24
McDonald's
My YM 40 (from Clean)has been running about 30 seconds faster per day, so I was wondering if it was magnetized.

I used a Magnetometer phone app, when I scan the surrounding it is about 40uT, but when I put my phone near the watch the meter goes up (to 60 if i put my sensor on the crystal, 100ish if i put my sensor near the bottom of dial), is that normal or is my watch magnetized?

• Wow
Reactions: GingerBubba

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
You know, a cell phone can magnetize your watch?
Don't know if the way you use to measure it is the smartest...

I think so...

And regardless, I don't think every app in conjunction with a phone's sensors (which may vary in quality) really does everything as well as claimed.

De-magnetizers are rather inexpensive. If I would suspect my watch to be magnetized, I'd just buy one of those, demagnetize it and be done with it. If it's still not keeping time well, you'll at least know it's not because of magnetization. 😆

trustytime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
3/4/16
My YM 40 (from Clean)has been running about 30 seconds faster per day, so I was wondering if it was magnetized.

I used a Magnetometer phone app, when I scan the surrounding it is about 40uT, but when I put my phone near the watch the meter goes up (to 60 if i put my sensor on the crystal, 100ish if i put my sensor near the bottom of dial), is that normal or is my watch magnetized?
Maybe you can get a local watch guy who can help with the de-magnetisation of the watch.

Thanks

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
i asked the one nearby they said they dont do demagnetizing. but the question is, do i even need demagnetizing? idont know whats a normal amount of magnetization
You can use a free app called watch accuracy meter (android) to see more accurately how it's running. 30 seconds off can be easily regulated and probably does not need to be demagnetized.

beanvatan

Renowned Member
26/8/18
United States
man, buy this and be happy with it. If you can spend $300-500 on a watch, I am sure $10 will not make your bank cry a river, and this will bring you a sense of peace in your mind whenever you suspect your watch is magnetized.

14/4/24
McDonald's
You can use a free app called watch accuracy meter (android) to see more accurately how it's running. 30 seconds off can be easily regulated and probably does not need to be demagnetized.
I did use that but it's very inaccurate I think it's cuz my microphone can't capture it well? It's showing me a 9.9ms beat error , but my qc pic was 0.1ms

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Let's start off with this. Set the time against time.gov. check it 24 hours later and see how far off it is. That will tell you if you're really getting an accurate reading or not on the app. The problem with the Android apps is you have to get the phones microphone lined up close to get a good reading. My current phone which is a Pixel 8 pro I have to hold it 90° perpendicular to the watch to get the microphone close enough to get a solid reading. My older pixel 3 XL I had to set the watch across the lower half the screen because the microphone was on the screen side. If you have access to another phone or perhaps an older one sitting around that's no longer activated, you might want to try it with that as well just to see if you can get a more accurate reading.

Reactions: ImLateAgain
14/4/24
McDonald's
Let's start off with this. Set the time against time.gov. check it 24 hours later and see how far off it is. That will tell you if you're really getting an accurate reading or not on the app. The problem with the Android apps is you have to get the phones microphone lined up close to get a good reading. My current phone which is a Pixel 8 pro I have to hold it 90° perpendicular to the watch to get the microphone close enough to get a solid reading. My older pixel 3 XL I had to set the watch across the lower half the screen because the microphone was on the screen side. If you have access to another phone or perhaps an older one sitting around that's no longer activated, you might want to try it with that as well just to see if you can get a more accurate reading.
i find that if i dont wear it, it is like 30sec faster a day. but if i wore it it is only like maybe 10 sec a day faster

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
i find that if i dont wear it, it is like 30sec faster a day. but if i wore it it is only like maybe 10 sec a day faster
Remember that the speed will change as the position varies. This is why to be COSC certified the movement must be run in multiple positions. 10 seconds per day is acceptable. A miyota movement is considered good if it's +/- 30 seconds per day, so you are in the range for genuine Japanese movements.

ImLateAgain

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Patron
13/12/23
I purchased a demagnetizer on Amazon ($30) and was quite surprised it managed the issue. For less than a third of what I was quoted to have it done. I didn't do a great deal of research but, the little I did, didn't come with 911's against doing it at home. Besides, one more tool on the way to Frankening. But, for all I know, I might have caused future issues.

Reactions: Rx4Time

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Get a hiking compass, put it on a flat ledge, and move your watch beneath the hiking compass. If the arrow of the hiking compass moves a lot as you move your watch under the compass, then your watch is likely magnetised.

There are cheap demagnetisers on aliexpress which works (i got one). But i don't recommend leaving them plugged into your wall socket for a long time because of their questionable circuitry safety.

519m5tgsv4L.jpg