• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Insert/Pearl on 300m "Bond"

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
I have a 300m I got from Fakemaster, and I absolutely love the watch. It has the "typical" rep pearl however, and I modded a second bezel insert with a more gen-like pearl. Sad thing is that I didn't recognize the fact that the underside of the insert was shaped differently, and long story short: I kind of screwed it up shaving it down to fit.

So: need a new insert and gen-looking pearl. Does anyone know of a good source, TD, mod (buy this insert for the insert, this one for the pearl, combine the two, etc.)?

There is a great mod on how to do this, but that's a bit beyond my skill set.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I have one of these coming:

http://www.watchmaterial.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=1800

When it gets here I'll know what size it is and if it suits.

This will not look right on a 300M insert.

l_dotss.jpg

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
In that case, you'll need to have your existing pearl done by one of the lume modders on the forum. Or it's gen bezel time!

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
either way, both don't look "very" gen :)

Mines just the less labour intensive method...

Don't listen to this guy. He just scored a SSD in a deal of the century over on the sales forum. We have to hate him for that for a few more hours yet...

(j/k) ;)

Trevor actually sources out the pearl/ insert on his current ETA SMP offering. I would chek with him b/c the pearl and insert on his current rep looks really good.

I'm actually looking at having him order one for me.

Here's an example of it, it's not 100% but looks good in general IMO…

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/seamaster-300m-professional-blue-asian-84501

I think that is the same insert that I made my modded insert from. It actually looks more gen-like if you pop that pearl out, and turn it upside down. Then take either that insert and put the pearl back in upside down. You might have to widen the hole a little bit, because the pearl cup is wider at the bottom. Get it just right, and glue it with gorilla glue. Once it has hardened, sand down the excess glue on the back.

I managed to salvage the pearl from my botched job (botched the insert install on the case, not the pearl fix), so I'll be doing this again, but on an insert from FM that is assured to fit the watch (as it came from him). I'm getting another spare just in case I screw up and need to return to stock form.

Some pics:

BezelComparison2.jpg

BezelComparison.jpg

NewSMPbezel.jpg

NewSMPbezel2.jpg

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
LOL Greg, I love you too bud!

I'm actually thinking of changng my name to SSD_guy ;) I've felt like a celebrity ever since that sale.

Your pearl turned out awesome. Who thought turning it inside out could look that good..................Either way, they all look better than the stock pearl.

Don't listen to this guy. He just scored a SSD in a deal of the century over on the sales forum. We have to hate him for that for a few more hours yet...

(j/k) ;)

I think that is the same insert that I made my modded insert from. It actually looks more gen-like if you pop that pearl out, and turn it upside down. Then take either that insert and put the pearl back in upside down. You might have to widen the hole a little bit, because the pearl cup is wider at the bottom. Get it just right, and glue it with gorilla glue. Once it has hardened, sand down the excess glue on the back.

I managed to salvage the pearl from my botched job (botched the insert install on the case, not the pearl fix), so I'll be doing this again, but on an insert from FM that is assured to fit the watch (as it came from him). I'm getting another spare just in case I screw up and need to return to stock form.

Some pics:

BezelComparison2.jpg

BezelComparison.jpg

NewSMPbezel.jpg

NewSMPbezel2.jpg

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Don't forget to watch eBay for a used SMP insert. :)

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
I've been watching EBay myself for a month and a half!!!

Still lookin to Frankenstein my SMP, just don't have the cash to buy a new bezel....

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Well then, good luck to all of us! :lol:

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
I've got my eye on the used ltd. Edition 007 dial right now. The hour markers look a little sketch though...

There's only 1 blue bezel on eBay right now and its new + more expensive than what Oftei offers it for..........

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
Hooray! Completed my mod. Salvaged the pearl from the insert in my previous pics, and got a new insert, shaved down the bottom and made a hole for the pearl that I feel is more precise than the one pictured before. Here it is installed:

SMPpearl.jpg

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Great job Greg.

Looks much better. What did you use to enlarge the hole? A drill bit?

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
Great job Greg.

Looks much better. What did you use to enlarge the hole? A drill bit?

I picked up a cheapo set of needle files from Ace Hardware for $11. I used the tip of the round file and spun it inside the pearl hole to widen it. Just went very slowly and from the back of the hole, so as not to chamfer the visible edge of the hole and leave marks.

Tried to fit the pearl, and it if was too tight, just did a couple more spins and tried again. I screwed up one more insert in the process by making just a tiny bit to big, but it was enough to make it a disaster trying to fit the pearl and glue it. Overall, this is my 3rd insert for this one damn pearl, but I think it came out good! Wouldn't have bothered, if the Fakey SMP wasn't so otherwise perfect (IMHO). The case is just so leaps and bound above many other SMP reps.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Looking good. Yeah baby!
smiley_movie_austin_powers.gif

Congrats.