• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Incompetent liar

Heatrow

Getting To Know The Place
28/12/16
Do not make my mistake and stay away from this charlatan.

I was looking for a watchsmith in the UK as my vfs Starbucks was running slow.

Since I knew that onthebench had a long waiting time, I decided to go with BuiltbyReece as he had good (fake) reviews (just afterwards I realised he was not a trusted watchsmith).

I sent the watch around the 20th of March with special delivery. Soon after I was quoted £195 for the service, which I paid, even though it seemed a bit steep compared to other watchsmiths but I told myself, fine, if he does a great job I don't mind.

A month later I was told the watch was ready. I asked for pictures of the service and I was only sent a few pictures of the case and bracelet being polished. Nothing about the movement.

I asked for proof of the service being performed. Nothing.

Since that moment, I had to chase him every week till yesterday and on many occasions I was told the watch had been shipped but it hadn't. When pressed he eventually shipped the watch on the 21st of June. Still no evidence of the service being done but fine. At this point I was done, I just wanted my watch back.

I got the watch today and the watch is still running slow. Exactly the same as when it was sent. The position 1 and 2 when pulling the stem to change the date are fucked. They were fine before. When winding the watch grinds big time. The bezel action is stiff (it was smooth like gen. He did tell me this happened but that doesn't make it ok), the case is scratched below the bezel and the bracelet is scratched both sides of the lugs.

I spent £215 between service, shopping etc. Waited for over 3 months and got my watch back fucked. Paid with PP FF.

I am sharing my experience to warn everybody to stay away from this incompetent liar and also remind everybody to only use trusted watch smiths. I am out of pocket big time as I have a watch that has been ruined and paid an extortionate £195 for it to be worse than before. Lesson learnt. Do not make my mistake.

Temple

Watches, Weights & Protein shakes
Supporter
Certified
12/2/18
UK
Do not make my mistake and stay away from this charlatan.

I was looking for a watchsmith in the UK as my vfs Starbucks was running slow.

Since I knew that onthebench had a long waiting time, I decided to go with BuiltbyReece as he had good (fake) reviews (just afterwards I realised he was not a trusted watchsmith).

I sent the watch around the 20th of March with special delivery. Soon after I was quoted £195 for the service, which I paid, even though it seemed a bit steep compared to other watchsmiths but I told myself, fine, if he does a great job I don't mind.

A month later I was told the watch was ready. I asked for pictures of the service and I was only sent a few pictures of the case and bracelet being polished. Nothing about the movement.

I asked for proof of the service being performed. Nothing.

Since that moment, I had to chase him every week till yesterday and on many occasions I was told the watch had been shipped but it hadn't. When pressed he eventually shipped the watch on the 21st of June. Still no evidence of the service being done but fine. At this point I was done, I just wanted my watch back.

I got the watch today and the watch is still running slow. Exactly the same as when it was sent. The position 1 and 2 when pulling the stem to change the date are fucked. They were fine before. When winding the watch grinds big time. The bezel action is stiff (it was smooth like gen. He did tell me this happened but that doesn't make it ok), the case is scratched below the bezel and the bracelet is scratched both sides of the lugs.

I spent £215 between service, shopping etc. Waited for over 3 months and got my watch back fucked. Paid with PP FF.

I am sharing my experience to warn everybody to stay away from this incompetent liar and also remind everybody to only use trusted watch smiths. I am out of pocket big time as I have a watch that has been ruined and paid an extortionate £195 for it to be worse than before. Lesson learnt. Do not make my mistake.
Has he offered to compensate you in anyway or admitted fault for the issues that were created during the service?. The only one you mention that he admitted fault to is the bezel action.

He states his work all comes with Warranty, but assume you have understandably lost confidence so wouldn’t want to utilise that so not to be out of pocket.

fixwatch.co.uk

Watchmaker @ FixWatch.co.uk
Vendor (Watch Repair)
4/6/19
United Kingdom
Has he offered to compensate you in anyway or admitted fault for the issues that were created during the service?. The only one you mention that he admitted fault to is the bezel action.

He states his work all comes with Warranty, but assume you have understandably lost confidence so wouldn’t want to utilise that so not to be out of pocket.
Hi, the client above has had a long chat with me and sent the watch back to me.

I have explained the reason for a stiffer bezel, as the gasket was replaced and will be some much more “loose” the more it’s used, there has also been fomblin applied to the gakset to make it a slick surface.

I have also had the watch abck and since I didn’t take any picture during the service I have offered to service the watch again to take pictures for the client record.

The watch had no issues mechanically from the initial surface however the hands do seem loose and that is one factor for not showing true time,

I’ve assure the client that he is in safe hands as this is my first negative review and hope that when he gets the watch back he will see that this is an anomaly and will be with my other happy repairs

Also sorry for the delay in replying, for some reason I don’t get notifications when someone leaves a review on my page