• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I just recieved pics of my finished franken :)

PeteM

Renowned Member
23/10/09
I have just recieved pics of my franken from Domi...I am very pleased..

It has taken nearly a year now to ource all the parts and get this built but Domi has done a great job getting everything to gel together ... fantastic work once again from Domi :)

I will update once its on my wrist and wearing its new boots :)

PecMan

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/09
nice, so tell me about parts , whats gen whats replica?

PeteM

Renowned Member
23/10/09
Thanks guys.. in terms of parts as I mentioned on here what must be last January now.... when things were starting to progress..

Dial,Hands, crown, tube in addition the crystals (back and front) and bezel is gen plus oem gaskets... the case had to be reshaped and brushed and polished..teh problem is that all teh rep versions have the incorrect bezel and crystal in terms of shape etc...

So having stared long and hard at pics and the real thing... it was clear that the gen crystal would not fit the rep bezel... the rep bezel was too small and incorrect shape... but once you see the real thing you realise how bad the crystal shape is... best anallergy is the old school 127 domed crystals compared to the gen crystals.. then throw into that the AR even if aftermarket and the clarity and quality the gen was the only way to go... plus the AR has the correct trademark hue for the Omega which no rep can do..
winkCA3D11ZE.gif

The movement is of course an ETA with 18 CDG on bridge plates along with sunburst wheels and perlage to base plate in other words highly decorated... I decided to keep the flamed blue screws as they are the expensive finish rather than just painted but I removed the swan neck
smiley.gif
Again I prefer this look...

With the gen movement..no matter which way you can go you cannot replicate the gen movement plates... I could have bought them but decided that wouldnt be best value for a franken... even those rep movemnt plates with Omega etc or the AT later movements are so wrong that I thought it better to go with a classic looking Swiss movement with CM certification... anyone looking at the back who would know what the gen movemnet looks like would also easily recognise a rep no matter which version..they are just tacky...so with the high decoration and engraving on this ..it still looks the business without trying to be something it aint.. the pics really dont do the movement justice tbh as it absolutely glows in sunlight etc and the high reflections from the CDG, the perlage and sunburst wheels etc really lift the look of it...

I did toy with gold lettering the engraving on main plate etc but again thought this would end up looking tacky..

The lume is gorgeous and the difference in dials makes such a difference in terms of markers and base finsih and of course the sub dial depth and finish (concentric rings are so obvious on the rep versions..gen is smooth)

I did do some comaprison pics a while back of the dials together unmounted.

PeteM

Renowned Member
23/10/09
I have some pics below of the gen and rep dial... you can see that overall the rep dial aint bad at all especially for the sort of money these go for as reps.. what really lets them down is generally the AR, crystal shape... putting aside movement that is and variation dependent..

I think I would be perfectly happy to wear a rep dial with a gen crystal or at the least an aftermarket AR job..it is a decent rep IMHO

As for the dials the biggest/obvious difference on the wrist is the shiny subdial.... there are other differences like the lume application shape and quality plus height and also the typeface etc but overall its not a bad version... I have seen a few rep dials being sold on the by as gen so if you are thinking about doing something like this please be careful....

But overall the rep on the wrist is IMHO under rated :)