• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hublot Big Bang

watcher69

23/11/09
Hey guys,

I find myself drawn to the Hublot watches the more I see of them - I like their clean lines, and kinda robust image! - I've been looking, and there seems to be a LOT of choices on the basic Big Bang theme, but I quite fancy this one:

http://www.timeshops.net/HB6364_-_Big_Bang_King_Palladium_Black_Dial_Rubber_-_Asia_7750_28800BPH_1989-5416.htm

Is that mechanism ok/reliable, or is it worth going for one of the swiss ETA versions at about $60 more? - I assume they are all automatic regardless!?

Also - who is the best dealer to go for one of these or similar - any preferences/recommendations?

Cheers
Ad

Tapori

Looking Around
17/11/09
No use, I'm just like you - I love HUBLOT ...specially ALL BLACK KING POWER - but the dilemma is, MOST of these Hublot reps do not lume/glow! :( Trust me, I've burnt experience already. But this on the other hand, shows a little. But just a heads up, I gave 'em a chance with PAM but came as DOA and had to visit a local watch-smith to get it to work again. Service cost me add'l $30! Good luck!

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Mechanism on that is fine. Well, as fine as possible for a rep, that is. My experience has been that the Asia Clone 7750 movements are just as reliable as the ETA movements in reps. Understand that the ETA movements in reps are a bit of a crap shoot because many of them are either reconditioned or assembled in less than sanity conditions.

One thing-- if you like the Big Bang King, that's fine, but make sure you know how big it is. The normal HBBs are 44mm, but the King is about 48mm. I've seen them, and they really are massive.

Mobius

I'm Pretty Popular
Yeah they look a decent size in the pics, kinda like U Boats. But, when you put 'em on you feel like you got Flavor Flav's necklace wrapped on your arm. Lol! But big watches ain't too bad if you have decent size wrists, I have a few Grahams that get a lot of wrist time and a U Boat on the way! ;)

watcher13

Known Member
7/6/08
Great choices Seanf....I'm with you on this one. The Black Majic is beautiful, but the "Lite" with rubber strap is a little more affordable if your just starting out, and want to collect more Reps. However if price is no object....Good luck on your choice watcher

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
True, Watcher13. Funny thing is that I don't see my own watch on there-- the Ice Bang. Love that watch.

watcher69

23/11/09
Thanks guys, im going to check out the regular BB as well, the king might be a tad too big on my 7.5" wrist!? - I'm currently wearing a DSSD V5 which looks fine to me, despite some people thinking it's really huge, so a King might be on the max size for me, and the BB just right maybe...

Ad

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
I'd recommend that you go to a local high end watch store and try a few pieces on. Unless you live in a pretty big city, you likely won't have a Hublot dealer, but I'm sure you'll find a Breitling or Panerai dealer somewhere around. Once you try on a few gens, you'll know what size you're comfortable with.

Also, different watches wear differently. I have 6.5" wrists, and I can't wear a 44mm PAM Luminor because it looks like a clown watch on me. By contrast, I can wear the 44mm Big Bang just fine. Has to do with the crown guard and the case thickness.