• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to store my replicas -> on a winder or not?

Stuzzy

12/9/12
Hello all!

I'm pretty sure this question has been answered before but I could not find it using the board search.

I'm not sure how I should store my watches to ensure that the movement lasts as long as possible.

Is it better to store the watches in a normal box with stopped movements or do you recommend storing the automatics on a watch winder? I have mostly watches with gen ETA movements (REP and GEN wathes) and a few cheap ones with 21J and A7750. It's a nice feature that the watches are always running when you pick them up but it's not really necessary for me because you have to correctly set the time/date anyways after a few days/weeks.

What do you recommend?

Looking forward to your replies. Thank you :thumbsup:

rhaykal

Renowned Member
18/8/13
I am also interested in opinions on the matter. I have a gen Corum Romulus that I keep in a winder (I only have a single watch winder at the moment). Over the past few weeks though I have acquired a few reps (Corum Golden Bridge, UN Maxi Marine, PAM 111, Breitling Steelfish Superocean). I have been looking at display boxes on the Bay but dont know if I should look in to a multi-watch winder instead.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
All my autos, gen and reps, are stored in a watch winder as advised by my watchsmith.

:cheers:

Edit:
Slow typing here.. :D
Thanks allergydoc, missed that thread!

MauiDave

Renowned Member
27/6/13
I think your asking should you keep your watches running or let them go dead in a box when not wearing them. If this is your question I would say its not good for your watch to be not running for any length of time. The oil on the jewels will dry and move away from where it is suppose to be. Causing irregular movements or worse damage to jewels.

Sent from my iPad cause I'm to lazy to sit at a computer.

Stuzzy

12/9/12
I think your asking should you keep your watches running or let them go dead in a box when not wearing them. If this is your question I would say its not good for your watch to be not running for any length of time. The oil on the jewels will dry and move away from where it is suppose to be. Causing irregular movements or worse damage to jewels.

Sent from my iPad cause I'm to lazy to sit at a computer.

Thank you for your replies! That was exactly my concern. I was not sure if it's better to let them run all the time -> friction could cause the jewels/gears to wear down faster or to let them sit -> oil could get sticky or dry out.

I'll put them on the winder as soon as my new 8-piece winder arrives.

Thank you :thumbsup::thumbsup::woot:

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Servicing/replacing mechanical movements is part of the cost of watch ownership, unless you flip them when they're a year old.

I keep mine on a winder so that I don't have to mess with the date.