• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to seal V1 ploprof Crystal

todaystheday

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/10/10
looking to find a way of sealing the crystal on my v1 ploprof so it does not damage the crystal if wet

offshore

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
17/3/06
I believe the delamination issues are caused by the crystal being too big for the opening they are being forced into, so the only way to prevent this is to make the crystal smaller by sanding it down, or seeking to possibly source a thinner nylon/plastic friction ring. Later versions of the V1 did not have the same issues it appears, and I think this may be due to the fact that thinner rings were used.(As a way of overcoming the initial problem.)
This is all theory, based on having measured a large number of these, and the size opening, and I doubt we will ever be told the truth of this problem.
In fact any attempt to seal around the circumference at the laminate point, would only make the issue worse as you would be increasing the diameter of the crystal around the circumference.
I do know of one owner who did this ( sealed the laminate joint) - (on smaller diameter crystals which he laminated together himself using UV glue) and he used UV glue to seal it. It was succesfull I believe.
Offshore