• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to recognise a genuine rubber strap?

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Well the other day i was walking in a town nearby when i saw a little watch-repair store. I went in and got a talk with the owener, it turned out that he was working on some reps but he wasnt so familiar with all the brands... As we were talking my eyes got on a seamaster 300m bezel insert. So i asked him is that a gen? He told me he didnt know and he just did the replacement for a customer but because the condition of it wasnt that good (some scratches were deep) he didnt want back... So i take a look and yes its a gen and just asked for a price and took it for my pearl swap hehe. But how is this related to my topic? In the other desk was lying a rubber strap,asked the same question and this time he told me its a gen for sure, but i really cant tell the difference... I would bought as he asked a fair price for a gen rubber strap but how can i be sure? Its a long time ago since i had a rep one my hands and has lost the feeling. So give me a little help one this...

tracyl

22/4/11
Try Ofrei's site for pictures. As for feel, I have no idea. I have a 45 UPO from perfect clones and the rubber band is as close to real in looks, that I think would fool even an authorized dealer. The writing and script look just like Ofrei's website here:
http://www.ofrei.com/page750.html

tracyl

22/4/11
pics from my band

Here are some pics of my rep band. The band is really flexible too, and dust free.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I'm not sure with the 22mm strap but the rep 20mm ones taper to 18mm at the clasp. The Gen 20mm ones stay 20mm.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Here are some pics of my rep band. The band is really flexible too, and dust free.

How many digits has your strap tracyl? I mean benith the clip...

I'm not sure with the 22mm strap but the rep 20mm ones taper to 18mm at the clasp. The Gen 20mm ones stay 20mm.

Sorry Q but i am not familiar with taper word... Can you give some explanation?

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Sorry Q but i am not familiar with taper word... Can you give some explanation?

In reference to the PO 42mm straps:

The Gen strap is 20mm wide at the lug end and 20mm wide at the buckle.

The rep strap is 20mm wide at the lug end and 18mm wide at the buckle.

The PO 45.5mm straps:

The Gen and rep straps are both 22mm at the lug end and 20mm at the buckle.

:)

tracyl

22/4/11
How many digits has your strap tracyl? I mean benith the clip...
Under the 1st clip closest to the buckle I have 2 lines printed:
1st line: 98000145
2nd Line: 64 GAE

My strap is 22mm at the lug side and 20mm at the buckle side. So maybe on a gen it is 22 at both ends. You would have to ask someone that has a gen to verify this.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Nice info Q on the 42mm strap!!! But since the measurments are the same at the 45mm is not going to help... I wonder if all the rep straps have the same number? Anyone else can check and see whats his strap number? I am refering to the 45mm model rep strap.

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
When you burn it....>>>

If it smells like rotten eggs, it's genuine rubber!!

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I forgot about this post.

DSC_2662.jpg

DSC_2663.jpg

DSC_2665.jpg

tracyl

22/4/11
Mine looks like gen

I forgot about this post.

Based on that photo, mine would be a gen, but it came with a rep from precious time, so I no it is not real. Take a look at my close-ups of my band. it looks just like the gen pic listed.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
The pics in my post are the SMP rubber not the PO ;)

Gen 22mm

54927963lf6.jpg

&

DSC_0542.jpg

Gen 20mm version

404514d1300126238-fs-omega-planet-ocean-20mm-rubber-tang-buckle-sold-imag0295.jpg

dan_j

5/11/10
Can anybody comment on how flexible the gen straps are? I have owned a couple of rep Omega straps and they were both a lot more flexible than some of the 'gen' rubber straps that I have. I wasn't sure if the rubber was just lower quality or if the gen straps are also quite flexible.

Daniel

Inushuk

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/10/10
I have both strap Gen and Rep for my frankens PO

Gen is on my Ultra Franken PO (Rep is not monted) and it is less flexible than the Rep one...
Also Gen is really dust free when Rep is not...
The feeling is much better with Gen vs Rep but you can really feel it when you have both in hands and the quality is then obvious ...
You cannot take one for the other...
But all marks are the same on both Gen and Rep and size is also same...

When you are used to Gen rubber strap then when you touch a Rep you know it is a Rep .... :)

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I think this will be a little tought... I will pass by and have a closer look.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Went by,but as it appears we will never know... Neverway that crazy old guy told me he can source me with another gen insert. If anyone is interested just give me a pm. It will coming of a smp 300 chrono...