• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to fix scratch marks by where the strap screws go into the case.

tranzmizzion

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/12
Hi,

I have an old tour auto 2012 and I finally got a stripped strap screw out of the case. Now I'm looking for replacement screws if anyone knows where to get them, but Also, I have some scratches by where the screw hole is. is there a way to sand out the scratches or something?

thanks!

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Hi,

I have an old tour auto 2012 and I finally got a stripped strap screw out of the case. Now I'm looking for replacement screws if anyone knows where to get them, but Also, I have some scratches by where the screw hole is. is there a way to sand out the scratches or something?

thanks!
There is a way but from what I've seen you need to refinish the entire side of the case. Good luck finding the screws as they are hard to come by.

Reactions: tranzmizzion

tranzmizzion

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/12
There is a way but from what I've seen you need to refinish the entire side of the case. Good luck finding the screws as they are hard to come by.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I tried a few years ago no luck, I could get by with just one lol

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
if you can find this on Amazon, and are a bit brave

you start with 400 grit and work your way up...but it means you will lose some metal and need to be careful to keep the general shape of the lugs

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
You'll need some equipment to do it right.

I would completely disassemble, tape off any areas you don't want to work on.

The Jool Tool is fantastic for this purpose and works sort of like burnishing (which is also a good option for not removing so much metal). You'll then need to rebrush, which I believe AP uses the 'fine' consistency from Bergeon' brushing wheels as a close alternative.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
You can consider a detail belt sander and a strooping belt, using progressively finer polishing compounds. Less physical work, but you still run the risks stated above. I use this setup for knife sharpening ( I put a random picture of when I was teaching my daughter how to do this below). You can also use a Dremel tool, but I have no direct experience with this.
PXL_20220109_1953570668af923d6efa81cfd.jpg

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Take a look at any person wearing a gen ROO. 9 times out of 10 they have scratches and dents. I just happens when you wear a watch.

Reactions: QueTip