• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to fix misaligned bezel

zzmonster

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/6/23
Batur
My TD sent me a Tudor Heritage BB with a slightly misaligned bezel that I didn't catch during QC. I just need to move the bezel clockwise by 1 or 2 hair strands. I have read that I can shift the insert by heating the bezel with a hairdryer while the bezel is still on the watch (so that I can assess the alignment while shifting the insert). Can anyone confirm if this works as a quick remedy?

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivion…
My TD sent me a Tudor Heritage BB with a slightly misaligned bezel that I didn't catch during QC. I just need to move the bezel clockwise by 1 or 2 hair strands. I have read that I can shift the insert by heating the bezel with a hairdryer while the bezel is still on the watch (so that I can assess the alignment while shifting the insert). Can anyone confirm if this works as a quick remedy?
Most bezels will be stuck in with double sided tape. There is no chance you can move the bezel with the heat from a hair dryer. If it does move slightly it will usually move back due to the elasticity ( memory ) of the tape.

Reactions: restandrelaxation

restandrelaxation

Certified
2/3/23
Northern Ireland
Could you post a pic? Is it a bb? Usually a hair dryer will provide enough heat to remove the bezel insert. But you need to be careful not to scratch it. If it were me I'd completely remove it, then I'd remove all the tape and residue, which can be time consuming, once done you can cut some new bits of double sided tape, (or you can buy bezel tape from eBay) space them evenly around the bezel, make sure the bezel is 'clicked' in place and install the insert.

It's not very hard to do on a BB rep.

zzmonster

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/6/23
Batur
Could you post a pic? Is it a bb? Usually a hair dryer will provide enough heat to remove the bezel insert. But you need to be careful not to scratch it. If it were me I'd completely remove it, then I'd remove all the tape and residue, which can be time consuming, once done you can cut some new bits of double sided tape, (or you can buy bezel tape from eBay) space them evenly around the bezel, make sure the bezel is 'clicked' in place and install the insert.

It's not very hard to do on a BB rep.
Here's the pic:

I just need to move the insert very slightly clockwise, so removing and then reattaching the insert seems like an excessively major operation. Would heating with a hairdryer and shifting the insert work?

restandrelaxation

Certified
2/3/23
Northern Ireland
Here's the pic:

I just need to move the insert very slightly clockwise, so removing and then reattaching the insert seems like an excessively major operation. Would heating with a hairdryer and shifting the insert work?
Like the previous poster mentioned it will work initially but could move back.
You could heat it up with a hair dryer and when malleable try twisting it first, you have nothing to lose. If that doesn't work try removing and replacing it.

dangerdan3

Renowned Member
3/12/20
Here's the pic:

If you’re heating it enough with a hairdryer to soften tape, I’d be worried about what’s happening to the movement and it’s lubricant.
Just take the bezel off and do the job properly

• Wow
Reactions: restandrelaxation

restandrelaxation

Certified
2/3/23
Northern Ireland
A hairdryer is a very direct heat source, like a heat gun it is used in applications that require a low amount of constant heat. Like in the application of vinyl wrap, sign making etc.
There is really no need for scaremongering. The hairdryer will do this job fine with no damage to the movement or any of the components of the watch.

Even if he takes the entire watch apart and removes the bezel, which is completely unnecessary, he still has to remove the insert and replace it in the correct position. 🙈
Just out of interest have you ever done this before? Because I have..... On the bronze Tudor I sold here recently. It's a very easy fix. I feel you are over complicating this.

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
When hairdryer and a (sore) thumb does not move the insert, i use zippo lighter fluid.
Pour some of them on the bezel insert and some will sip under the insert, slowly dissolving the double sided tape. Once you are able to remove the insert, clean it up, and use new double sided tape, or enough dial dots, and stick your insert back nicely.

restandrelaxation

Certified
2/3/23
Northern Ireland
When hairdryer and a (sore) thumb does not move the insert, i use zippo lighter fluid.
Pour some of them on the bezel insert and some will sip under the insert, slowly dissolving the double sided tape. Once you are able to remove the insert, clean it up, and use new double sided tape, or enough dial dots, and stick your insert back nicely.
Only do this on a ceramic bezel insert!!!!!
If you do this on a painted insert the paint can come off!

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
Only do this on a ceramic bezel insert!!!!!
If you do this on a painted insert the paint can come off!
I've never tried on other inserts before since most are ceramic now (number fillings were fine after the op), are you referring to aluminium inserts? Good to know if i ever need to use this method on alu insert.