• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

how old were you

ultratime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
23/8/22
when you bought your first watch? I dont mean gen or rep. Just the first watch you remember buying.

After i watched the movie commando for the 100th time, i bought as close to as i could of the watch arnold wore in it.

I bought a ruber case and strap armitron watch . i knew absolutely nothing about watches except to try and copy a look. I was 9 years old

below is the watch from that movie. he also wore it in predator.

Seems not much has changed eh fellas!!

423234234.png

Morrob95

Known Member
Patron
Certified
11/12/19
First watch I ever bought was a G-Shock when I was 17 and joined the Air Force. I may have had a timex or some other piece of junk prior to that, but that was the first "real" watch I bought!

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Ha ha i got my first watch as a cristmas gift when i was 5 , took me a year to tell time , it was a timex

cant remember the first one i bought but it was a lcd (they had just come out , replacing the leds

Last edited:

R2L

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
My first was the Seiko digital chronograph when i was 17. Cost me $100. Part of me wishes I still had it.

Reactions: Bersekre and g00n

ultratime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
23/8/22
i remember the digital watche craze in the 80s. so funny. I especially like the ones that had both analog and digital displays.

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
It was a desert camo digital watch I made my parents buy me at a grocery store in point roberts USA
Desert storm theme
Loved that thing.

GIG

9/9/22
I remember having a Casio Shark that my parents bought me around 5 or 6 years old. In 3rd grade I begged for a Casio Calculator watch and got one that year for Christmas.

The first watch I actually bought myself was on my 6th grade overnight field trip to Washington DC. As part of the trip, our entire grade was at the Air and Space museum. Me and a few friends snuck outside early and did some shopping with the street vendors. I walked away with a bronze dial Tag Heuer Rep 🤣. I never had it properly sized , but I wore that watch for at least a year before moving on.

TimeFlyz

Known Member
Supporter
22/1/23
USA
My first watch i bought was a Gucci , it was a lot of money in the 80,s about $300.

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16

Can remember starting secondary school with one of these, the original 🍎 watch 🤪

Reactions: R2L

AlphaProt

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/3/19
New Zealand
Ha ha i got my first watch as a cristmas gift when i was 5 , took me a year to tell time , it was a timex

cant remember the first one i bought but it was a lcd (they had just come out , replacing the leds
How long ago was that! Lol

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
Sure, I already had a children's watch in primary school, but the first watch I can really remember choosing for myself was the Swatch "Technosphere" - a kind of early predecessor of today's Hublot models ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: j-unit139 and R2L

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
I remember wanting the IR remote version so badly lol. Way too expensive then.
Weren’t they used to unlock car doors back in the day? Not that I would know anything about that…..🤪
Embarrassed Marlon Wayans GIF by NBC

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
Weren’t they used to unlock car doors back in the day? Not that I would know anything about that…..🤪
Embarrassed Marlon Wayans GIF by NBC
Not cars, but some garage doors that used IR remotes. now its just radio frequencies

But it cost an average monthly income back then, so i could not afford it as a kid lol.

When the first central locking on cars came, someone figured out, that a half tennis ball would open the locks by pressure. So thats what we did :D
Later they added the "slidy-flap" to prevent that, but it was futile, as you can imagine 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: g00n

Obscuranocte

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
10/1/22
Italy
Ten years old...my father bought me a Casio calculator...
It was my treasure... unfortunately I don't know where Is It now...

rolex4me

often nice, sometimes evil😜
Supporter
10/4/16
Ich kaufte meine erste Uhr, als ich ungefähr 12 Jahre alt war. Es war eine Quarzuhr (ich glaube Casio). Man konnte das Datum separat die Sekunden ablesen und die Uhr im Dunkeln beleuchten. Ich erinnere mich genau, dass es damals (lange vor dem Euro) 99 D Mark kostete. Das Geld dafür war das Weihnachtsgeschenk meiner Eltern. Ich war sehr stolz auf diese Uhr, weil ich eine der ersten in der Schule war, die eine solche Uhr (Quarzuhr) hatte.

Vincini

Watch Addict
Supporter
Certified
4/7/19
Germany
Something like this was the first watch I had at 4years old and the first watch I ever bought was at 9 years. Since I can think I wanted an Metal watch like my Father always wore. And from the money at my 9th birthday I bought the Festina Quarz and was happyer than everyone else on the planet at this moment. Since then I bought many watches in the low price range. Some Pricier gens and some nice Reps

UkBionic

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
25/1/20
NW England
I must have been about 6 years old when I remember getting a plastic digital watch for my birthday, merchandise from the 'small soldiers' movie. I loved it, you popped open the case and it read the digital time. My sister had a swatch flik flak. When I was around 9 or 10 my dad bought me a different digital watch when I was on holiday in Greece, i'd love to know what it was - i absolutely loved that watch. In my teens i don't remember wearing a watch, maybe in college I started wearing a swatch irony - never left my wrist. For graduation my dad got me a tag, which i wore exclusively for about 5-6 years, until i found reps.