• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How off is the subdial spacing of the speedy?

Daniel

Known Member
17/10/10
On the left is speedy from ebay (40mm) and the right a rep from PT. Is it just my imagination or is the subdial spacing spot on compared with this model? (I am not sure what era the gen is from)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140625061115?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

29azbeb.jpg

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
The one on the left is an automatic, and the rep on the right's a manual wind, if I am correct.

The gen Moon watch has noticeably closer sub dial spacing than the reps that have a hand cranker in them.

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
As mentioned above, the watch on the left is not a Professional but rather a reduced auto. The subdial spacing is considerably different between the gen Pro and the rep, but the rep isn't bad. The quartz reps have better subdial spacing but you usually get a much worse bracelet and the whole tic-tic-tic-tic-tic issue. Here are some pictures:

Genuine Omega:
100_4283.jpg

Handwind Seagull ST19/Lemania rep:
100_3776.jpg

superdriver

Known Member
15/11/10
California
As mentioned above, the watch on the left is not a Professional but rather a reduced auto. The subdial spacing is considerably different between the gen Pro and the rep, but the rep isn't bad. The quartz reps have better subdial spacing but you usually get a much worse bracelet and the whole tic-tic-tic-tic-tic issue. Here are some pictures:

Genuine Omega:
100_4283.jpg

Handwind Seagull ST19/Lemania rep:
100_3776.jpg
That Rep looks very cool, I like it a lot.

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
That Rep looks very cool, I like it a lot.

I absolutely love that watch as well, the plexi mod gives it a little something extra. It's too bad that I had to pass it along to a good friend. The last I heard he put a great strap on it and is really enjoying it. :)

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
Anyone care to point me toward the plexi-mod thread/ how-to?

Here are the two links on RWG (jr?) that I first saw someone attempt it. LINK1 LINK2

This is the LINK for the plexi (34.0mm Sternkreuz HW).

The short version is that you glue in a slightly undersize plexi after removing the sapphire and crystal gasket. Why an undersized plexi? Because the correct size won't fit inside the bezel insert.

Most people remove the movement to do the mod, but I couldn't get mine out due to clearance issues with the chrono pushers. Therefore, I carefully applied the glue to the inner bezel while avoiding getting any on the dial. I figured that I didn't have anything to lose since my crystal fell out!

I hope that helps. :)

omegagmt

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/10
Been looking for a speedy. Went to the Omega boutique in the Houston Galleria the other day and tried on the saphire version. It was the 40mm. Love it. The list price was $6500 and the assistant manager told me they have 0% interest for a year. Not sure if I'm willing to fork out $542 a month right now.

Where can I find a saphire version? I checked timeshops and they have this one:

http://www.timeshops.net/speedmaste...ack-dial-ss---lemania-hand-wind-movement.html

Might be what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA
Been looking for a speedy. Went to the Omega boutique in the Houston Galleria the other day and tried on the saphire version. It was the 40mm. Love it. The list price was $6500 and the assistant manager told me they have 0% interest for a year. Not sure if I'm willing to fork out $542 a month right now.

http://www.timeshops.net/speedmaster/2094-om9284---omega-speedmaster-chrono-black-dial-ss---lemania-hand-wind-movement

The gen speedy is unique, but don't pay that much. Pm'ed

omegagmt

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/10
I notice the sub dial spacing, but at $205 versus $5000 I might be able to deal with it. Also, you don't see many speedmasters out in the wild. I already have access to a gen bracelet and have a black brady strap that would really take this watch up a notch.

Daniel

Known Member
17/10/10
$6500 for the speedy is really expensive ! I was falsely under the impression that watches in the US are cheaper.

http://www.timeshops.net/speedmaste...ack-dial-ss---lemania-hand-wind-movement.html

dmacnz

27/9/10
Can get a used moonie hre for about 2.5k usd.
My biggest problem with the rep I have is not the sundials. The Renault is woo bloody deep the dial looks miles from the glass. Especially after the domed plexi mod.
Still a nice watch but doesn't see much wrist time because of the deep dial!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
When oh when are we going to see the correct sub dial spacing "co-axial" rep MVT used in the PO in the speedy? Not only would that solve all the sub dial spacing issues I would have a use for the two gen dials I have here.

Reactions: d4v3