• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How hard is it to change a Planet Ocean SS strap for a leather?

zub3qin

Horology Curious
3/8/10
I have seen several posts detailing difficulties people are having in resizing the UPO SS band. But what about just taking the band off and replacing it for a rubber or leather one?

Is it very difficult to get those pins back in (or off) when changing straps?

My dilemma is that I am getting a UPO but the SS band makes the watch too heavy/large for my wrist, I fear. But it seems to be a waste of money to buy the watch and not get the very well constructed band with it.

I have ordered the watch with the rubber strap, but I was wondering if it is better to get the watch with SS and get the rubber strap separately so I can switch the two back and forth- but if this is a diffficult process I won't do it.

So any thoughts or advice?

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
yes my advice is to always get the SS bracelet with the watch. Then for leather or rubber there are plenty of better aftermarket ones available. It's super easy to swap them, so don't worry.

zub3qin

Horology Curious
3/8/10
Even on the Ultimate Planet Ocean it is super easy to change out the band for rubber?
I thought I saw numerous posts complaining about band adjustments on this watch? Is there a "how to" post on this topic?

Thanks again for your help. I am a super newbie but think I am hooked on this forum now.

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Even on the Ultimate Planet Ocean it is super easy to change out the band for rubber?
I thought I saw numerous posts complaining about band adjustments on this watch? Is there a "how to" post on this topic?

Thanks again for your help. I am a super newbie but think I am hooked on this forum now.

The pins in the links on a UPO are a bit of a b***h to pull out. That's why some people have trouble making the bracelet shorter. But not the spring bars that attach the bracelet to the case... those come out easily.

zub3qin

Horology Curious
3/8/10
The pins in the links on a UPO are a bit of a b***h to pull out. That's why some people have trouble making the bracelet shorter. But not the spring bars that attach the bracelet to the case... those come out easily.

Thanks again rooster133-

One final question- do I need a special tool to undo the spring bars to change the bracelet or is a small pin or something I'd have at home good enough? If I need a tool, can you point me in the direction of where i'd get one or what the tool would be called so I can search for it?

Thanks a million!

captben41

27/4/10
Investing in a spring bar removal tool was the best decision I ever made.

I got mine from panatime when I ordered a leather strap for my PO.

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Thanks again rooster133-

One final question- do I need a special tool to undo the spring bars to change the bracelet or is a small pin or something I'd have at home good enough? If I need a tool, can you point me in the direction of where i'd get one or what the tool would be called so I can search for it?

Thanks a million!

A tool can make things quicker (see above).
Although I have the tools, I often just use a very small screwdriver. It's quite easy.

Mikeldn88

Known Member
2/6/10
Buy a spring bar remover. A thin flat screwdriver will work eventually but I guarantee you'll get frustrated.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
take it to a shop and let them knock it out with a pin tool and hammer. The ebay 'screwy pin removers' just don't work.

Very good advice for anyone unfamiliar with sizing a bracelet. The PO is one of the harder ones to size for sure.

My WBK 42mm Black, sized by me.:sub4me:
20100710005.jpg

20100710006.jpg

tangle

5/8/09
UK
The omega's have very good bracelets, I have the speedmaster and PO and they wear quite light compared to Breitling for example, I had the speedmaster on leather for a while but returned it to the steel bracelet, for some reason they work well on steel. Get a good spring bar remover and if you have patience get a bracelet pin remover and allow a good hour for sizing. Order a few spare springbars, they do have a tendacy to fly across the room or the end break off.

Be aware that if the holes in the lug are not perfectly aligned fitting the bracelet can be tricky compared to the flexibility leather gives you.

good luck

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
swapping the ss to leather is real easy. once you get the hang of it you can undo the ss bracelet and put it back on in less than 30 seconds.. I have the ss , had the rubber and have the leather on my po. all very easy to change, contrary to what is being said out there about it being a bi tch to remove. you don't even need special tools, but it helps.

ezragreg

Horology Curious
4/8/10
Omega upo chrono 45.5mm

Buy a spring bar remover. A thin flat screwdriver will work eventually but I guarantee you'll get frustrated.
Putting a strap back onto a UPO is not that straight forward. My spring bars seemed to be slightly curved to help push back in. When i did mine, I spent like 15 minutes pushing, pulling, swearing,,, then decided to take a break and come back when calm again.

If you need to size a UPO SS bracelet, take it to a shop and let them knock it out with a pin tool and hammer. The ebay 'screwy pin removers' just don't work.
Hi,

I noticed that you have the rep of omega upo 45mm chrono. I also just bought the same watch from ReplicaMake, but since I'm new with this hobby, I wonder if you can tell me which part of this watch that can be spotted as a rep.

My movement is a7750.

I have only spotted that the date is not zoomed.

Really appreciate if you are willing to reply.

Thanks
Ezra

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Be aware that if the holes in the lug are not perfectly aligned fitting the bracelet can be tricky compared to the flexibility leather gives you.good luck

Exactly, that is a very common problem and if your PO is like that its not easy by any means to get the ss bracelet back on. I have had a number of watches where the springbars are bend to fit into the misaligned lug holes or even not in the lugs holes. Its odd some reps are made pretty decent, others sometime of the same batch are just bad ones. I can remember getting a watch looking it over, everything looked great, I opened the clasp and the clasp fell apart, WTF?? Who knows, reps can be very frustrating sometimes.

BADWIN BING

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/10
Putting a strap back onto a UPO is not that straight forward. My spring bars seemed to be slightly curved to help push back in. When i did mine, I spent like 15 minutes pushing, pulling, swearing,,, then decided to take a break and come back when calm again.

That's the truth......only I spent 20 minutes pushing, pulling and swearing!

Tmax

Known Member
19/7/10
Resizing the bracelet is awkward on the PO, but only till you understand how it all works.

Fakemaster has a great tutorial that explains how the pins & collars fit.
There's a sticky I think here to show how its done.

Basic problem is the pin pushers are too short for the longer PO pins

DickBrowne

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/6/09
I always use a pusher to move the pins out as far as possible, then a small pair of pliers to pull it all out. Be aware of the collars which will probably fall out when the links are pulled apart, and note where they go, other than that, it's not tricky.

In common with others here, I find that removing the PO bracelet is easier with a small screwdriver (in fact, I find it impossible with a Bergeon spring bar remover), but the leather strap is easier with the correct tool.

Take your time, and enjoy the learning experience :)

Richard