• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How do we know Swiss movements are really Swiss movements?

Silvire

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
25/8/15
Now I'm not THATTT new to the rep game, although I've been here for maybe 9 months, I've had 15-20 reps flow through my hands, and currently own a good mix of reps.

Thing is, I'm wondering, when our TDs state that a movement is Swiss, and the movement DOES have the SWISS engraving, I'm just really curious.

The fact is, we're dealing with fake watches.

Heck, all of our fake watches state "SWISS MADE" on the dial where applicable (Omega, Rolex, etc).

What's to stop people who make Asian movements, e.g. Asian 7750, 7753, from just engraving the words "SWISS" onto the movement?

I'm not here to flame our TDs or anything, please don't get me wrong, I believe our TDs are nothing short of awesome.

However just out of curiosity how do we know that when we buy a Swiss movement, it really is a Swiss movement?

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
Just assume they are lying about the Swiss movement and you will sleep better.

gmg_3

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/14
only swiss movements I have were bought state side and installed.

ds1101

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/4/15
UK
The only way i personally can work out it to do with it what i do with most things that intrigue me or i need to know something about. Take it apart (oh christ....flashbacks of the tellings off from mum when my playstation was in a thousand pieces where i was trying to work out how it worked)...i know its not for the faint hearted but it really is the best way..there are many guides available to see what to look for and i personally believe that you will just know as the quality of the parts and the attention to fine details are just in another league, Or thats what i noticed when i did it. If you are not one for this drastic measure then taking it to a friendly watchsmith and getting it serviced should reveal all.

I know its not the most comforting thing when spending a lot of money on a rep claiming to be swiss and then having to wait for someone to look into it and what would come when going back to a dealer - but it is the copy game and unfortunately nothing can be guaranteed.

before all the hate comes along - i have several A movements that i am very happy with and i am yet to see if they outlive a swiss movement but i just cant see it!

Hyjynx

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/13
When is a Swiss not a Swiss? When you can cheddar (cheat her) Get it? Swiss... Cheddar... cheese....

Awright. Hold the tomatoes. I'll see myself off the stage now. [emoji1][emoji12]

Zeinharis

I'm Pretty Popular
17/1/16
Well the best way to tell is by disassembled the movt, you will know by the finishing on every parts the movt have.

There's a thread on how to identify the movt.

Here's one : https://forum.replica-watch.info/vb...-to-tell-quot-Swiss-quot-from-quot-Asian-quot

And this one : http://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/ho...45.html#/forumsite/20758/topics/216945?page=1

Note that this is for ETA 2824/2836

IMHO.. Personally, I don't think about it much because of the ETA pros and cons, some ETA comes with old parts on it while some of the asian clone is fresh from the oven, ETA have better QC vs the asian clone, reliability etc.

In the end for me, I always choose the one asian that won't die on me within a week, let say asian 6497, seagull st25**/ty25**, seagull st2100/st2130 due to its reliability, plus it's cheaper than ETA.

But here's the thing, if you want something solid go with ETA, because that is what ETA made for. Solid, good QC, reliable, made in such high level of precision etc.. CMIIW

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

D

d4m.test

Get the asian version, save the difference and if You want/need upgrade to a locally bought Swiss. That way You´ll know, You have the factory-fresh "real deal", assembled in prime conditions and at the same time fix anything else You want fixed (gen crown, other crystal, aligning dwo or markers, waterproofing).
The times when new or semi-new swiss ETA´s were easily available in China are long over, they are scarce nowadays.
Whenever the need comes I will just replace with a locally sourced factory-fresh asian ETA or with a TC when applicable.

varrka

21/3/16
Think that way, nowadays everyone is faking it. Volkswagen for example, German made and German engineering, its a big difference. Both German but one made in Germany, the other one in Mexico using German design.