• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How do I know if my PO is a Rep or Gen?

Aaron Applebee

Horology Curious
14/4/08
I just bought a PO from an Omega forum, and I am starting to worry it might not be real after seeing some of the reps out there. Is there any official way I can find out if it is genuine or not? Maybe a jeweler or something, but I don't want to spend any money if I can avoid paying for an exam.
Aaron

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
show us some pics?

i can show you comparison shots of a 42mm PO

202345-1359.jpg

rep is on the right. I'm good with 42mm po's - got a gen and looked at all teh darn differences.

there's lots of telltales.

msot obvious is rep PO's lack good AR. Secondly is the pearl. next u can stare at the datewheel. a definite sign of gen is a red dot near the caseback but if its gone, doesnt mean it's fake. if its there, it's good tell if its a gen.

also, the clasp is particular to gens. there's a particular width on teh inner clasp that i doubt most know about (not gap or anything, it actually deals with physical dimensions), but i can spot it - but without a pic i cant tell you.

Balosch

Known Member
1/2/08
Yes, could be!!! But if you spot a flwa like that, you know its a rep! To be absolutelly be shure, you need to go to a AD to check the movement, the "Co-Axial" is only used in the the gens!

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Movement can be a good telltale. I have built a few franken PO both 45mm and 42mm.

Check out also the serial number on the lug. on 4th gen 42mm PO, it's not there.

Aaron Applebee

Horology Curious
14/4/08
Mine is an Orange 45mm, is looking at the movement the only way to definitively say whether or not it is a gen or rep? How much would that cost me to get done? Can I do it myself? I can get the tools. What does the co-axial movement look like?

crick

1/8/06
Aaron Applebee said:
Mine is an Orange 45mm, is looking at the movement the only way to definitively say whether or not it is a gen or rep? How much would that cost me to get done? Can I do it myself? I can get the tools. What does the co-axial movement look like?

here's some cal2500 movement ref. no, you cant see the coaxial escapment that easily. - but it's a radial kinda of gear, you could easily google theimages and it'll showup.

here's a rep movement:

7.jpg

caliber-2500a.jpg

and the omega movement.

here's an image off of the web of the red dot.

po12.jpg

if the red dot is there, it means the watch hasnt been serviced yet. if it's not, it could mean it rubbed off, got serviced, or is a rep. Most reps dont bother with the red dot (i havent seen the red dot at all on reps).

Other obvious tells are the Omega feet on the logo, unless they swapped it in with a gen dial. Another is lack of AR. if its a gen and he decided to remove the AR, well, hey, i rather get a gen with the ar :)

Aaron Applebee

Horology Curious
14/4/08
Is it safe to remove the case-back myself? Is it pressurized or something or can I just open it?

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
If your's has the dot, you're most likely good to go.

The watch isn't "pressurized", but if you open the case back, you may very well void your warranty. If you have the red dot, I'd be willing to bet it's a gen.

Take some pics of the clasp (opened) and have crick take a look.

thecontractor

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/7/07
The red dot means it is a rep. Sell it to me for $100.00 and I'll let you know!
It looks as if you have the gen. Enjoy and wear it well!

crick

1/8/06
the back end of the clasp, not the side where it says "omega" on it. teh clasp and the link connected to it. but frankly, if it has the red dot, and you mentioned you had a warranty card, then that should be pretty good enough since all u gotta do is look at the number on the case and see if it matches with the card (which it probably will unless its a blank card, which means it's a grey market watch).

i think you're good to go.

u can always post pics of the watch at a couple angles and see waht folks here say. tak is good at it as well. i cant spot em all on teh 45.

the red dot once again means it's never been opened since it left manufacturing. I wouldnt open it then. Omega's come with a 3 year warranty on coaxial movements, so you could still be in warranty.

i dont think the rep factories are putting red dots on 'em - it was never in demand to do so :)

subseeker

Renowned Member
Advisor
27/9/06
Aaron Applebee said:
I just bought a PO from an Omega forum, and I am starting to worry it might not be real after seeing some of the reps out there. Is there any official way I can find out if it is genuine or not? Maybe a jeweler or something, but I don't want to spend any money if I can avoid paying for an exam.
Aaron

The only way to make you feel comfortable is to take the watch to Authorized Omega Dealer, and get it checked.
You will be wondering about this forever if you don't have the "OFFICIAL" answer.

No, the AD won't charge you for it.

DO NOT take the watch to any jeweller.
MAKE SURE to bring it to "Authorized" Omega Dealer/Omega Boutique/Omega Service etc.

Aaron Applebee

Horology Curious
14/4/08
crick said:
the back end of the clasp, not the side where it says "omega" on it. teh clasp and the link connected to it. but frankly, if it has the red dot, and you mentioned you had a warranty card, then that should be pretty good enough since all u gotta do is look at the number on the case and see if it matches with the card (which it probably will unless its a blank card, which means it's a grey market watch).

There is no matching number on the card so it must be grey market, but what exactly are you talking about in reference to the bracelet? Is there any way you can show me pictures. Now I am worried I have a gen watch with a rep bracelet.

crick

1/8/06
nah, i wouldnt worry. just post some pics.

an angle like this is cool:

Claspcloseinsideview.jpg

lol i looked at some reps tho and the bracelets are getting better :)

just take a buncha pics :p