• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How do all you "UPO franken nuts" reconcile >>>

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
The fact that unless you put in a Gen Omega Co-Ax movement, you'll never have a watch that beats at the correct frequency...???
It'll either beat at 6 or 8 BPS, while the gen beats at 7!!
What's the sense in spending 4 figures +, and countless hours to build a rep that'll NEVER be fully correct..??
(to the ridiculous standards that WE set for ourselves)

airking

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
26/5/09
despite the frequency, the eta movements used in the frankens are still good movements and will probably perform just as good as the coaxials (although supposedly you wont need to service a coaxial for 10 years).

to some extent you are correct in that you can get a pre owned omega for a little more than it would cost for a franken though. so its a tough call.

but for some people, i would say there's a different satisfaction you get from creating your own watch than just buying one straight. same reasoning for moding cars? people spend a lot of money on their cars when they can just buy one off the lot for cheap. just my two cents.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Used gens have gone up in price lately. You would be hard pressed to find one, a good one, for under 2300. Throw in the correct He position and this is a major factor in why people choose the ETa model. Having said the above, I think the 21j's are a good value and if that is good enough and you dont want to mod it then, it's perfect.

Some folks just don't understand us modderfockers, thats OK. some day you will.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

shirazi_r

Renowned Member
12/10/10
Don't forget that only the latest iterations of the Caliber 2500 beat at 25.7k; the first version version of the movement actually beat at 28.8k.

While it's near impossible to notice from a distance, there are plenty of PO's in the wild running the same beat-rate as the ETAs in our watches.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
What's the sense in spending 4 figures +, and countless hours to build a rep that'll NEVER be fully correct..??

"4 figures + that'll NEVER be fully correct..???" If I ask anyone what is not correct with my FrPO. Do you know what the correct answer is? None. Because it is not a Gen. It is a rep and will always be a rep. It is the perfect rep actually. ;)

If you and others enjoy looking at the rep dial through the rep AR, do you see us modderfockers asking why? No. To each his own. Right?

Here are a few Franken PO's ..........

42mm
IMAG0319.jpg

45.5mm
DSC02725b.jpg

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Because it is not a Gen. It is a rep and will always be a rep.

This is exactly why I don't mod watches. I buy what I like, accept it for what it is, and have fun with it. Now I do understand the mods and yes they can make a rep look better and you wallet look poorer, but for my money its not worth it to strip down a watch just to end up with a closer looking rep.

Fact is almost no one will ever know the diffrence from a rep Omega to a gen Omega, and almost none will care or even consider it a rep. Of course with a Rolex everybody will assume its a rep, just the way things are. Besides here on a watch forum has anyone been asked, hey is your Omega real?? Probably not because no one is wondering if its a real Omega, they just assume it is, just as they will assume your Rolex is a fake.

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
You're right about that. At least pertaining to Rolex. Years back I owned a genuine Submariner and lost count of how many people saw me wearing it and told me it wasn't authentic. I've no idea what they based that on but more people thought it to be a replica than people thinking it was authentic.

And those models in the pictures above look beautiful. Where could I find a very good 42mm Planet Ocean model ?

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Try MR or RM. They are in our Dealers section.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
You're right about that.

Of course I'm right, I'm always right, LOL.

Q5, those pics are great and if I wasn't a mental case watch nut I would think those to be gens, which of course is the idea.:sub4me:

AskMeAgain

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/11
Meh who cares honestly? I love my PO, eta movement will be a workhorse for years, only thing I would change would be dial and hands and only for a long lasting lume. :D

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
oddly enough...>>>

This $80.00 POS 1st generation PO from @ 5 yrs ago has the second best lume in my rep collection, second only to my Ploprof V 1.5!!
It glows legibly all frikkin night !!
IMG_5588.jpg

Even the pearl glows bright!!
And no one has ever noticed that it only has a 20MM bracelet,(it a 45.5mm) and lacks the "Planet Ocean" engraving on the back..And...The crown STILL screws down tightly. It seems that every time they have taken a couple of steps forward with these PO reps, they always take a few steps back too!!
One would think that by now,(5+ yrs of "development"!!) you ought to be able to buy a pretty convincing rep of it for @ $ 200. bucks, and not have to blow another $500. to perfect it!!

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Maybe they want to keep people buying, ya think maybe??:snort:

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
This cost me more than 80 bux but it glows more than any rep/gen watch that I have ever had.

fdcc05ba.jpg

Glad to see reps from $10 and up that run for 5 years or more. Beats buying an Alpha watch with mineral crystal eh? ;)

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
Here's an "undiddled" lume shot of my Ploprof..>>

After @ 10 seconds under my desk lamp..:
IMG_0002.jpg

It loses @ 1/3 to 1/2 of that over an 8 hour period...

And here's that $80. PO :
IMG_0005-3.jpg

Stays at least 1/2 that bright all night!!

AskMeAgain

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/11
Woo baby, lumtastic both of those! Now all I need to do is buy a gen case set dial and hands from ofrei and source a nice gen bracelet and I will be really happy with my PO *uses fingers* wassat umm about a 1200? Its a sickness I tell you. Serioulsy though a dial and handset would keep me really happy.... Honest...

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Its a sickness I tell you. Serioulsy though a dial and handset would keep me really happy.... Honest...

Sure it will. For about an hour after their successful install. Lol

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Here is another franken po wristie for effect!

IMAG0454.jpg