• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help with Gen omega SMP and PO AR coatings

rei

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/12/06
So ... do the gen SMP and PO have double-sided or single sided AR?

I think I've read that the SMP is single and the PO has double....with blue-ish tint?

Looking at them in the display case at the AD, I can't tell.

TIA
rei

Hyster

29/7/06
rei said:

I think I've read that the SMP is single and the PO has double....with blue-ish tint?

TIA
rei

The Po I think is inner and outer, the early bond smp and the chrono had none I believe but the later red letter ones do.

I think some of the other smp's (black dial etc) had inner coated.

I'm no expert though. Wait for an Omeega WIS for a definitive answer :D

b16a2

13/1/07
Yes that's correct.

The Planet Ocean has double AR. The older SMP and SMP chrono don't have AR, but the new version of the SMP Chrono does have an inside AR coating.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
It's true what stated above. SMP with red lettering (modern version, non chrono with Coax movement) comes with AR coated crystal. It doesn't appear on older SMP (chrono version included). real PO has double sided AR coated crystal.

rei

18/12/06
OK...thanks every1 for the replies....I'm going to go for one of the AR runs currently offered at RWG for my IWCs and my PO.

-rei

catchthecat

9/12/06
rei said:

TIA
rei

My gen SMP is a few years old and it doesn't have any AR coating on it.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
I went onto the vintage Omega website and pulled the specs on the 2531.80.00 bond watch and it does say one side coated AR. Now this covers 1993-2004 or around and about so it may be that the earlier models with 1109 caliber did not have AR and then they made a switch in 1994 with caliber 1120. I would suspect since OttoFrei offers nothing other than an AR crystal replacement for the case #'s associated with 2531.80.00 that if they had no AR crystal for sale as a replacement, then it is appropriate/accurate to have AR on this watch. In other words if someone called you on it (who cares if they did) you could mention the crystal is OEM and has been updated. I hope that makes sense.

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
bwaaaaaah

ok, this is what i've noticed

gen po = dbl

gen smp chrono= single

have not seen gen smp :( cept for new, and that i cant recall.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
crick said:
bwaaaaaah
have not seen gen smp :( cept for new, and that i cant recall.

Genuine SMP caliber 1109................NOT AR
Genuine SMP caliber 1120................Yes AR
Either is acceptable to replace with one side AR.

ken72

Renowned Member
19/3/06
I have a gen SMP quartz model. The specs card says it includes AR on the crystal. You have to understand that the AR is not like what you would see on our reps with the blue tint. It is a true AR that reduces glare.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
ken72 said:
I have a gen SMP quartz model. The specs card says it includes AR on the crystal. You have to understand that the AR is not like what you would see on our reps with the blue tint. It is a true AR that reduces glare.

Right on Ken! This is why the gen crystal, if you can fit it on a rep, is a must purchase. I am waiting to do mine or just buy a gen when funds are better.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
@ken72: Maybe that's what Omega means. It doesn't really have the bluish/greenish tint. I think AR can also be colourless.