• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help w/ Omega GMT problem

Jeff in AZ

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/6/07
My new 2-day old Omega GMT w/ 2836-2 (supposedly) is not keeping time at all. It works for about 5-10 minutes, then the minute hand freezes and just stops. Funny thing is that the seconds hand continues to tick. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Meridius

Known Member
3/4/07
Others can comment much better about a possible fix, but given that you just received it, have you considered returning it to the dealer for a replacement? Probably a better solution then attempting a repair - if replacement is available that is.

Jeff in AZ

20/6/07
Shipping to China...

Thanks. You are right. I just have never shipped anything to China and have no idea how that works. USPS to ESM?

dylan

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/07
Nevada and California
You can send it through the USPS.
You have 3 options.
Global Priority which has no TRACKING, Global Express which is the first step that has tracking (I recommend this one), and 2 day which is
done by FedEx in cooperation with USPS.
Be prepared however to spend $25 or more to ship it back.

-d

Meridius

Known Member
3/4/07
Re: Shipping to China...

Jeff in AZ said:
Thanks. You are right. I just have never shipped anything to China and have no idea how that works. USPS to ESM?

Last thing I mailed back to China was through USPS (just take it to your local post office), with insurance and proof of delivery it was $20.00. Take a look online at USPS.com for what you cannot ship to China (watches are on there) and be prepared to fill out the customs form accordingly. Some dealers will refund you back the cost of shipping - I would definitely ask for it. Shipping to China took about 9 days in this case, and the USPS tracking number was absolutely useless, but my package made it back to the dealer unscathed. Best of luck . . .

seank

I'm Pretty Popular
20/3/06
My suggestion to you is find a good watch smith to fix these "little" problems. They happen some times and if you've got a reasonable WS at hand it will save you some grief.

Sean K

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
I had a Omega with asian mvmnt, had same symptoms.

its not even worth fixing it....find out if it has a swiss mvmnt first. if you....any watchsmith can fix it.

Jeff in AZ

20/6/07
Thanks everyone!

I appreciate the thoughtful insight and will keep you posted. Wish me luck!

jkerouac

16/3/06
Jeff,

I agree about having someone local look at it first. If the fix and cost are minor, then I'd absorb it and suggest that the dealer give me a discount on my next purchase. If the fix is major, then contact the dealer for a replacement. He or she may then ask that you send the watch back to them, or occasionally to somebody in the U.S.

Best of luck.