• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help needed strap adjust planet ocean v5

kev_993

Horology Curious
5/8/12
Hi, i am looking for help on how to adjust the strap length on the omega planet ocean v5. Its the stainless steal strap and there are no screws, i tried pushing the link part with a pin but it wont move! Please help through these frustrating times! Thank you

kev_993

Horology Curious
5/8/12
i still cant work out how to remove the pin... any more links or help please ?

rol_man

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
The pin pushes out from one way only. On one side, the pin will have an expansion slot, you would push from the opposite side to get the pin out.

BrosNhoes

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/12/11
Do yourself a favor and take it to a watch smith. i learned the hardway.

kev_993

Horology Curious
5/8/12
Took it to a watch smith. The pins do not push out no matter how much force. You need the tools and a hammer to hammer the pin out. Unless you have something strong that wont bend when hammered the pins dont come out. The arrows on the strap show what way the pin goes in so if removing pin to adjust strap hammer it the oposite way

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
This is the proper tool but it is very poor quality pot metal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Watch-band-tool-bracelet-link-remover-pin-repair-spare-pins-QUALITY-METAL-TOOL-/200684990619?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_WatchAccessories_SpareParts_SM&hash=item2eb9c1f09b

And you would need to replace the pin it comes with with a smaller one. I think I posted on a thread on here the dimensions of the pin a long time ago.

The seller on ebay that I ordered one of these from sent the green tool on mistake. It actually worked better but uses a short pin. I used the green tool on both of my Omega last time while he shipped the red tool. And after pushing the pin out part way, I used a pair of plyers to yank the pin out to remove it. It worked good and I didn't knarl any of the metal on the bracelet links I was removing. The V5 is easier to remove the pins from than the V4.

Note that the pin in the red tool is full length which is desired for changing these but it is too thick/fat for the job. You'll need to purchase a narrower piece of stock steel shaft and replace what the tool comes with. This tool's pin is held in by a small set screw. This tool is VERY crude too be forewarned. But unfortunately it is the best one that exists that I can find. I think some watch repair shops probably have a bench vice and a much larger pushing device attached to do the job. Those would cost a lot of money.

edit: to clarify the above, I owned one red tool and only used it a couple times and the steel screw part literally stripped the cheap pot metal threads from the rest of the tool so I ordered another one on ebay. I was only able to resize one watch with it. I ended up selling the watch on here (V4 PO) and then purchasing a V5 later. The V5 is a better watch in many ways but not all. The V4 is nearly identical to the V5 but I find the movement in the V4 is more forgiving when setting it than the movement in the V5 which can be finnicky.

twanger

Renowned Member
15/2/12
Here is where I get lynched, but....... I have had success on EVERY Omega AND others with tension pins I have worked with. Start with a bath towel folded up as a work surface for some "give". Lay the side that looks "flush" or "welded shut" face down. Then, take a regular top hat plastic thumb tack and set in the pin hole. Take a medium to small screw driver and gently tap the pin out with the handle. When it gets about half way out, you can work it out with your hand or gently with a pair of needle nose pliers. Make sure you pull straight out and not at an angle. Check to make sure that the tube remains in the link. After removing/ adding a link, flip the watch and use the pointy end to tap he top hat end onto the link flat into the bracelet. If all goes smooth, you can change a link in as little as a couple of minutes. It does most times.
stamsd
DISCLAIMER- I have had nothing but success (10+ times). Use this method at your own risk. Look forward to any other opinions.

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
I wouldn't lynch anyone on their method. If you have a method that works, it works. It is only my opinion that my method is the best because it is what worked best for me, but I know there is always a better way. I just need to find the photo of the green tool to post along with the red one as well as find out what my measurement was for the replacement for the red tool.

If the red tool wasn't made out of such crap material, it would be the choice tool over everything that has been posted so far. But if you are looking to resize only one or two watches, it will do the job. I found that it ruined itself after using it only a couple times.

Most people on this forum just use the blue plastic tool and push the pin 1/4 of the way out, then grab it with a pair of plyers and yank the p*ss out of it until it comes out. Many have had luck but you'll end up seeing statements about how stressful it was or how aggrivated they (or the typical battery changer watch shop) got.

And speaking of typical shopping mall watch repair stores, most of them do NOT have the proper equipment to work on an Omega. A shop that is certified by the horological society and has tools for doing actual watch repair (movement rebuilds, cleaning, and etc) is realistically the place to go (well, that and the AD but you gotta realize some AD don't even have a watch shop, but they pass-thru and make it appear they do when they really send it to a really highly qualified watch shop within the vacinity of their premesis. I know an AD in SF that does this and it works out great actually. of course speaking of AD that is me veering way off topic because you're not going to be taking the rep to an AD for repair).

Anyway I like to try to help and I appreciate anyone else trying to help too, don't worry about being flamed though. I think it is great to see more people trying to help in whatever way they can with this issue.

You know what would be nice? If the watch dealer offered to sell the "perfect" be-all and end-all tool when ordering the watch. That way the dealer can make a few bucks extra and the consumer can be happier.

When ordering your watch, you might also want to consider asking if the watch dealer can take the links out for you before they ship it. I think most of the top-notch dealers probably can. After all, if they are located in GZ they probably are going to the upper tier of the watch market and there's personnel all over that district that can/will assist in removing pins/links. I would have to say from what I read before, this watch in particular can only be acquired if you make an appointment with a dealer and see them upstairs in a watch market building to purchase the watch. The RWI dealer himself might even have access to the watch factory.

Yeah I know this is overboard on information but I hope it serves someone well. It is a great watch and definitely the right time to buy. This watch is nearly 1:1.

Bomba

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/08
I truly hate the Omega bands for this reason. I despise them. In my experience, they either are ridiculously difficult to size, or they come apart on your wrist. I hate them.

ajs914

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/07
I used one of these:

pin-tool-2in.jpg

I also noticed that there are arrows on the inside of the PO bracelet that tell you which way to push. They are very faint and I didn't notice them until I looked at it with a 4x loupe.

Also don't lose the little barrel that holds the pin inside the link.