• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help me identify this movement

Theplayer

Horology Curious
6/1/23
Italy
I found this movement inside my date just 41mm rep, I can't find any information on this. It broke after a short time so anyone know a valid alternative to this? Thank you

dangerdan3

Renowned Member
3/12/20
It looks like a DG2813 to me. Not sure what’s compatible without making a new spacer ring, but I know it’s been done before. Maybe with A2824?

Theplayer

Horology Curious
6/1/23
Italy
Thank you for your support I stil have 2 questions (sorry I'm a newbie):
- if I don't know the movement but I know the watch type (datejust) it is possible to say that the movements like ETA 2824-2 or miyota 8215 will surely fit inside the watch case with and the only need is a spacer ring (which I can print in 3D)?
- thinking about changing the movement is it possible to say that the actual clock face I have is compatible or I have like to change the position of the pins which holds it to the movement, do other adjustments?

dangerdan3

Renowned Member
3/12/20
No worries, they’re good questions.
For your first one, it’s tricky to say what movement will fit the case without measuring it. Things like movement diameter, thickness, height of hand pinions, position of stem height all need to be accounted for.
That leads nicely to the second question, you’ll need to note the positions of the dial feet, which will likely only be compatible with the DG2813. To use that dial with a different movement, you’ll need to snip off the feet and use adhesive “dial dots” to secure it in place.
There’s a bit of research to do, find the data sheet of a 2824 or nh35 (for example), grab some calipers and measure the internal dimensions of the case. Compare the 2 and see if they can be shimmed or spaced. It’s a bit of work but a good exercise

Reactions: subara

Theplayer

Horology Curious
6/1/23
Italy
Thank you so much for your help I will do the homework and come back once I have the informations.
For the moment what I have to check is:
- diameter, height of hand pining, thickness, stem position
- dial compatibility
-datary diameter that will match the dial (this is still a big point to me as I don't know if I can exchange the dial on the new mov with the old one or I can glue a sticker with the correct diameter, according to what I read around the forum)
- find a datasheet or something like that will give me a comparison chart
I'm thinking about taking all the possible things in consideration to avoid much of the problems, probably with the help of a watchsmith would be easier but seems I can't find one here, I will continue to search around.

Is there something else I am missing?

Theplayer

Horology Curious
6/1/23
Italy
Hello, I did some research and this is what I found:
the 8215 seems to be compatible in dimensions with the 2813, I will go for the miyota, good enought for me. Regarding the date wheel I don't know if the 8215 will fit correctly but I can remove the one on the actual movement and glue on the new 8215 or buy a new one. There are still some other things that I cannot clarify on my research and honestly speaking I don't know how to get more infromations. I can fit the mov, dial, date wheel but then about the spacers no info.
Is there a way to measure the hands if they are compatible, with caliper I can measure holes but for the seconds how can I do it?
The biggest problem for me is that I am not familiar at all with this but I cannot find a watchmaker to do the work, I also contacted nkiz which I saw is in Italy also but no answer so I don't know what I can do more. If I start to buy the needed parts and something doesn't work then I don't think I'm able to solve it, I really care about fixing the watch but I think this is too much for my knowledge.

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Hello, I did some research and this is what I found:
the 8215 seems to be compatible in dimensions with the 2813, I will go for the miyota, good enought for me. Regarding the date wheel I don't know if the 8215 will fit correctly but I can remove the one on the actual movement and glue on the new 8215 or buy a new one. There are still some other things that I cannot clarify on my research and honestly speaking I don't know how to get more infromations. I can fit the mov, dial, date wheel but then about the spacers no info.
Is there a way to measure the hands if they are compatible, with caliper I can measure holes but for the seconds how can I do it?
The biggest problem for me is that I am not familiar at all with this but I cannot find a watchmaker to do the work, I also contacted nkiz which I saw is in Italy also but no answer so I don't know what I can do more. If I start to buy the needed parts and something doesn't work then I don't think I'm able to solve it, I really care about fixing the watch but I think this is too much for my knowledge.
Just buy another 2813, they are cheap as chips.

Theplayer

Horology Curious
6/1/23
Italy
I can confirm the movement in the photo is not a dg2813 at least the dial pin position is not the same as it should. I want a reliable movement since anyway something will not match I want to use a japanese one

Theplayer

Horology Curious
6/1/23
Italy
Hello, I had the possibility to check real 8215 and the dial is not compatible at all. The original pins position on the dial is on a 29mm diameter so far I don’t know a movement which has such distance for the dial pins. The original movement therefore must be different from dg2813. Do you know if there’s a movement compatible with my dial? As you can notice on the movement image the dial pin holes are located on the centre of the movement not on the side like on others. The movement diameter is 31mm. So far some advices? Thank you