• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help! Is this 2824-2 Swiss or Chineswiss?

aflop

Respected Member
22/5/13
Just popped open a watch I picked up in a trade and was wondering if this was actually a Swiss? Or is it a Chineswiss?

ujymaqeg.jpg

ubydy9aj.jpg

5y2a2uva.jpg

ado213

Renowned Member
27/4/12
UK
Not sure on this one, rotor is swiss, post a couple more pictures, the EtA stamp does not look complete to me. The finish in general looks poor for swiss, the balance wheel itself looks way too fat on the rim, could just be the camera angle.

have you checked the Vph on this piece?.

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
It is a Swiss ETA 2824-2 . The poor [eta logo] and out of bounds stamping on it should not bother you. A good tell is the letter stamping is crisp and not 'galled' or 'overflowed' outward. This is the cheapest standard Swiss ETA 2824-2 . They come in 4 versions. [from COSC grade to standard grade] The regulating screw had me on edge for a while since it has a fully open slot. That could be a replacement. Most Swiss ETA's have one side of the 'slot' closed to avert screwdriver slippage. One thing good about this one is the "INCABLOC" shock absorber. The hour glass shaped jewel holder. Most now come with a 'NOVODIAC' absorber now. That's the one that is cloverleaf shaped. Both are good. Enjoy your movement !

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
That's an older ETA. Probably either refurbished out of an old watch or a NOS that's been sitting in a warehouse for years. Nothing that a good servicing can't cure.

ado213

Renowned Member
27/4/12
UK
Still have my doubts on this one as a gen all eta 2824-2. it looks like a patch work quilt of parts. More pictures please !

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
This area of the main plate dont look right to me.
Balance wheel looks a little funky too.
aJShA74.jpg

Same area on gen ETA
HAtq1hP.jpg

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Good point Dave. Although I've never known a Chinese clone company to use this Incabloc shock system.

Also, the straight spoke balance wheel is used on the lower end ETA'a and the flared spoke is used on the higher end movements.

It get's a little more confusing though when you add in that earlier ETA movements were not all built in house like today. Many were sub-contracted out and some actually made in the Far East. Who knows........

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Yeah, i think its a cobblejob, personally.
Mostley clone with a few gen ETA pieces on it.

Also , and this is NOT confirmed , but when i usually see the "DM" code on the plate, i usually see some sort of date code to the left of the balance wheel, which i do not see on the OPs movement. Ive seen them with date codes and no "DM" but never the other way around.
EMWQ5qz.jpg

Also the gen units which ive seen come with the incabloc (from the factory) have always had the longer pallet bridge,
as shown on the furthest right hand of this pic. OPs apppears to have short (novodiac) style still in place.

0Zbnr8K.jpg

aflop

Respected Member
22/5/13
Sorry I forgot all about this thread but man what a fascinating discussion. There's no sure fire answer! Gotta give it to them factories!

egroegart

Respected Member
1/7/13
Agreed. Looks like a cobbled together swiss and clone movement. Which is what most of the watches being advertised as swiss are these days. Refurbished or pieced together using swiss and clone parts